Would you dive with these tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw these tanks at a dock and they looked really rough.
They belonged to another dive shop.
The location is outside the US.
I didn't look too close, but I don't think I would use these tanks or the shop that supplies them.
Am I overreacting or is this just a cosmetic issue from the salt water?

That's in Cozumel???

View attachment 506708

View attachment 506709

If they dont blow up during, or right after filling they are safe to dive, I just would not pay to rent them

I would probably dive them so long as I could verify that they were holding pressure without any leaks and I had a buddy with enough air. They would generally only be likely to fail when being filled.

As a few others have said, I would want to be in a different area when they are getting filled though (like about 1/2 mile away).

Y'all have already forgotten about the death in Roatan from the exploding tank.

Y'all have already forgotten about the death in Roatan from the exploding tank.
6351 aluminum tank. Has little to do with steel tanks.

The really rusty ones are the emergency oxygen tanks!

There is possibly one example of a steel tank in hydro and vis failing, and nobody seems too sure about that one.

Quick cave fill and they are ready to go.

I don't think I'd hang around while they are being filled but if they are holding pressure then why not dive them. I have never heard of a steel tank exploding and all the failures of aluminum a I have heard of have been during fills.

if they are holding pressure then why not dive them.
If they look like that on the outside, how do they look on the inside?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom