Best place to retire in the Philippines with great shore and boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastnail

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am a Brit who has been working and living in Asia for many years and I plan to retire to the Philippines.

I have scuba dived there a few times in Mindoro Oriental but the reason for my post is taking into consideration a suitable place to retire to that has the following facilities/infrastructure listed below ...plus easily accessible great shore and boat diving.

Which towns and cities would you recommend for considering to retire to that has the following?

1: Good Safety.
2: International airport not too far.
3: Hospitals nearby.
4: Reasonable nightlife.
5: Reasonable infrastructure.
6: Easily accessible shore and boat diving.

Dumaguete and Subic Bay have come up so far as candidate places if you have any pro's and cons about these two places I would appreciate any comments.

Any other places in the Philippines you would recommend for consideration to retire to?

Hi All,

I am a Brit who has been working and living in Asia for many years and I plan to retire to the Philippines.

I have scuba dived there a few times in Mindoro Oriental but the reason for my post is taking into consideration a suitable place to retire to that has the following facilities/infrastructure listed below ...plus easily accessible great shore and boat diving.

Which towns and cities would you recommend for considering to retire to that has the following?

1: Good Safety.
2: International airport not too far.
3: Hospitals nearby.
4: Reasonable nightlife.
5: Reasonable infrastructure.
6: Easily accessible shore and boat diving.

Dumaguete and Subic Bay have come up so far as candidate places if you have any pro's and cons about these two places I would appreciate any comments.

Any other places in the Philippines you would recommend for consideration to retire to?
I've only dived Subic once but from my knowledge it's mainly known for wreck diving...never heard much about reefs and being an enclosed bay not much open water pelegic diving. There is an expat community there, and the infrastructure and services are in place for retirement living. Dumaguete/Dauin has much better diving and also an existing expat community. There are also hospitals, colleges, and restos/shopping for the expat. There is also the option to live a few kilos up in the mountains in Valencia (nice cleaner and cooler air/climate) and still just be a few minutes drive from Dumaguete .

However, for the best of both worlds...infrustructure, international airport, shopping/restos, social life AND diving I would choose Cebu and its environs. There is a wide variety of accomodation available from low to mid to high end condos/houses for rent; there are several good hospitals, good shopping and eating. There is also good diving right in Cebu (shore and boat) from Mactan Island. You are also only a relatively short distance from Moalboal and Malapasque/Gato island diving . In addition, Cabilao and Bohol are only a short ferry ride away. Dumaguete and southern Leyte are also short ferry rides away for for 2-3 day dive trips. The diving in the Visayan area is heaps better and more varied than any in Subic/Luzon.

A final option might be living somewhere south of Manila...maybe the Cavite or Laguna areas. Then you have the entire Mabini peninsula (Anilao) a short drive away and Puerta Galera just a bit further away by banka boat. There are dozens of dive sites and all types of diving in Anilao/PG and you also have the hospitals and services of Manila also just a short drive away.

Enjoy your retirement.

Thanks, JonnieB for your reply and insights, I shall put the locations you recommended on my list for further research.

For the Cebu area any recommendations for shore diving?

Dumaguete has already been mentioned a few times and is a great option. Subic is pretty good too.

But JonnieB has a great suggestion with Southern Metro Manila. I am in the Las Piñas/Alabang area and within minutes of the best hospital in all of SE Asia. The heart dr who has done work for all of the recent US Presidents has a residency there at Asia Med Hospital (splits his time between here and NYC). The lifestyle is slightly slower than Manila, but not much. Housing can be a bit more expensive though; the major semiconductor companies are located here. Decent night life with Makati and Banifacio Global City (BGC) nearby.

Laguna is a good option. Slower than Southern Metro Manila, cheaper housing. But it will put you about an hour away from Asia Med.

Oh, BTW, if you're anywhere around Metro Manila (from Quezon City in the North to Laguna in the South), you will be within an hour and a half to dozens of the best golf courses in SE Asia and hours from some of the best diving :wink:

:cheers:

The guys at Easy Diving in Sipalay are building a retirement community above their resort. The diving is nice, the location is nice. Its a few hours drive from Bacalod or Dumaguete, but you can access all kinds of diving from there. May be worthwhile to contact the owner Christian, at Easy Diving.

The guys at Easy Diving in Sipalay are building a retirement community above their resort. The diving is nice, the location is nice. Its a few hours drive from Bacalod or Dumaguete, but you can access all kinds of diving from there. May be worthwhile to contact the owner Christian, at Easy Diving.

Now that sounds super attractive. Dumaguete is a great place with great diving. Cebu would be decently accessible from that area as well.

Just got back from Raja Ampat and thinking that the Philippines would be a great place for a retirement home. Then I saw this thread. I may do it!
The diving and the people are great in the Philippines...everything else not so much (unfortunately).

The diving and the people are great in the Philippines...everything else not so much (unfortunately).

Meh, no country is perfect :wink:

In my opinion, the goods well outweigh the annoyances. Gotta take the good with the bad.

But really, the diving is great, the people are great, the food is good, the weather is (generally) good. Traffic sucks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom