Lodging recommendations for Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TDiddy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last July we had a great time in Cozumel and we had originally planned to return to Cozumel Palace at the end of May - but Costco Vacations informed me a few days ago that United canceled the flights - so we were fully refunded, and are now looking at Belize.

I've been diving for a long time. We have 13-year-old twins - my son was certified last year and will definitely dive in Belize. My daughter is just starting her OW cert now. My wife was certified about 10 years ago. So at minimum, we will have 2 divers and 2 snorkelers.

Friends have stayed at Grand Caribe before, but (a) don't want to go that far north and (b) don't really need the full on resort this time.

Pelican Reef looked good - they include breakfast, have a pool w/swim up bar and have full kitchens in the units - but it's a little far out of town. I've found suggestions on others in older threads - Ramons, Banyan Bay, Belize Palms, Isla Bonita, - are these still good recommendations in the present?

Ideally, we have a pool available, a restaurant would be nice but not a deal breaker. But if we're close to town we'd enjoy walking to different restaurants. Basically looking for a Pelican Reef but closer to town.

I cannot give you any recommendations for land based in Belize, as I have only been there via liveaboard. But, if you were planning to return to Cozumel originally, it tells me that you enjoyed it and the diving, so-- why not consider a different location in Cozumel, if the package plan through Costco fell through? Adjacent to Cozumel Palace are the El Cantil condominiums, which puts you downtown for convenience to shopping and restaurants. You have options for anything from 1-5 bedroom fully furnished condos, large outside decks with sunset/ocean views and a personal jacuzzi. You have a nice swimming pool and their own personal dock where a number of downtown dive operators will pick you up right on site.

Here is a link to the Condos, but many of them are also listed on VRBO: El Cantil - Luxury Condominiums
I know one of the downtown operators (Blue XT Sea) will pick you up for diving each day from the condo and also has some relationships with El Cantil condo owners who rent out their condos. @Christi , is the owner of Blue XT Sea and would be a good point of contact for you. She can be reached here: info@bluextseadiving.com and here is her website: Blue XT~Sea Diving - Cozumel Scuba Diving - Blue XT~Sea Diving

Here is an example of a 2 bedroom El Cantil Condo on VRBO: Outstanding Reviews! - Oceanfront AND Pool Side - Easy Walk to Town - Colonia Andres

And here is a 3 bedrom: Luxury Penthouse with Incredible Ocean View and Sunsets! (ECPHCN) - Colonia Andres

I did a Google flights search and it looks like you could get a very attractive RT from Des Moines to Cozumel on American Airlines for around $537 during the end of May. Attractive flight time also: 9:30am departure and 3pm arrival. Wish I could get that from the West Coast.
Something to consider.

Last July we had a great time in Cozumel and we had originally planned to return to Cozumel Palace at the end of May - but Costco Vacations informed me a few days ago that United canceled the flights - so we were fully refunded, and are now looking at Belize.

I've been diving for a long time. We have 13-year-old twins - my son was certified last year and will definitely dive in Belize. My daughter is just starting her OW cert now. My wife was certified about 10 years ago. So at minimum, we will have 2 divers and 2 snorkelers.

Friends have stayed at Grand Caribe before, but (a) don't want to go that far north and (b) don't really need the full on resort this time.

Pelican Reef looked good - they include breakfast, have a pool w/swim up bar and have full kitchens in the units - but it's a little far out of town. I've found suggestions on others in older threads - Ramons, Banyan Bay, Belize Palms, Isla Bonita, - are these still good recommendations in the present?

Ideally, we have a pool available, a restaurant would be nice but not a deal breaker. But if we're close to town we'd enjoy walking to different restaurants. Basically looking for a Pelican Reef but closer to town.

I highly recommend The Palms Condos (The Belize Palms - Suites & Hotel - San Pedro, Belize). We have stayed there several times, nice pool, central location, no restaurant but Ramons is next door plus many others on a short walk. We stayed at Ramon's the first time, then saw The Palms next door. For the price of 2 Ramons rooms you can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo, full kitchen, no brainer.

To the OP, I read your post and understand that you are looking for information only about Ambergris Caye in Belize.

Can't post a link right now, but if you search for our trip report entitled "Why not Ambergris", hopefully this will give you a start.

If you have any questions about Ambergris Caye in Belize (while we can also provide information on Cozumel but you didn't ask for that), please feel free to PM me. We are planning a return trip to Ambergris Caye in the next couple of years and have expanded our research regarding options compared to what is in the trip report.

Thanks - I will check out that link. The main reason we didn't opt for the American flights to Coz is that my wife is somewhat locked into United. That's what she uses for her work travel so she has good FF status + club lounge. I know, first world problems... We loved it there last year and we were looking forward to it - but at the same time, I'm excited to see and dive someplace new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom