Diving Near Barcelona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I will be visiting Barcelona at the end of April. We have one full day for diving on April 30th. We're currently looking at driving up to Estartit the night before and diving The Medes Island Reserve - the problem with this plan is we have a 4 year old and no babysitting there (yet). The other plan is to stay in Barcelona and drive out to Lloret De Mar for the day.

Anyone have any advice as to which will have better diving? Any preferred dive companies? Boat vs shore diving recommendations for the area?

Hi,
Best diving is Medas for sure. There are many diving centres in L´Estartit offering quite similar services, but let me mention just few of them:
Ocensub (Oceansub : : : Home)
Unisub (Diving center and dives at Estartit , Medes Islands home , diving center, unisub dive resort, l’estartit + illes medes + costa brava + barcelona + spain)
Xaloc (Home)
Be sure to contact them well in advance in order to check avaliability as numbers of divers per day are limited.
If you plan to dive from the shore Tossa de Mar near Lloret could be an interesting option. There are also diving centres in this town if you prefer to dive from a boat ( TOSSASUB - Diving center, School and Equipment rental) (Andreas Diving :: Tossa de Mar)
Finally there are other diving opportunities much closer to Barcelona such as Mataró where you can find many diving centres, although Medas should be the best option.
Good luck with your diving!

Just curious, what are the average monthly water temps at the Medes Reserve?

Just curious, what are the average monthly water temps at the Medes Reserve?

Table is in Spanish, from January (enero) to Dicember.
These are the average water temperature in Medas.

upload_2018-3-16_11-48-28.png

I used to dive the Medes Islands with La Sirena. They are also located in Estartit. I was always very content with them. We went mid may every year. Water temperatures were 15/16 C.

Can I ask if a vacation in Medes Islands would be suitable also for people who don't dive? Are there also good places for snorkeling and just sunbathing at the beach? I would really guess so from what I see in the pictures and videos...
Also, which dives are best in Medes? Since in the islands there are many dives and limited people allowed to each diving spot (I have heard so) it would be better to know in advance which dives to book at the local diving center when planning the trip

Medas Islands are uninhabited and just in front a coastal village called Estartit. It´s a beutiful area with lots of quite pretty villages (Rosas, Ampuries, Cadaques...) and places of cultural interest. Cabo de Creus surrondings are quite espectacular...
So Costa Brava is a great area for also non diving holidays. Local diving centres can help you with the accomodation if required.

Thank you so much. My wife has no excuses now: the plane is cheap, the country is safe, and there are also a lot of things to do other than diving...

Just weighing in here that Tossa de Mar is in my opinion a nicer option than Lloret de Mar for non-diving activities. (Haven't dove Lloret de Mar, so can't compare diving.) Beautiful walled old city with towers to protect it from pirates, built in the 14th century. The Grand Hotel Reymar has a nice setup for families with kids and they've aranged for babysitting for us when we stayed there. Andrea's Dive shop is just a few steps away from the hotel. Diving in Tossa is pretty nice, beautiful rock formations and lots of fish. It can get crowded with divers during summer months, but I expect at the end of April you'd be doing great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom