Carry On Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least in the US any uninstalled spare Li Ion batteries can NOT go in the cargo compartment. I carry mine (lots of them) in the carry on where they are allowed. If I'm told it has to go below I just tell them there are loose Li Ion batteries inside and they are illegal to carry below. They have no choice but to pick someone else's carry on. I bring 2 cameras (GoPro, and TG-5) several lights and lots of spare batteries..

A pilot friend has full set of travel gear and has perfected the art of carry on. While it might be a tight squeeze in the overhead bin on some regional carriers and puddle hoppers, it is generally not a problem on the major airlines.

Being of a certain age, I have abandoned the backpack in favor of a small carry on roller for reg, mask, computer, t-shirts, shorts etc. Easier on the back and greatly facilitates airport inspections. But really enjoy reading how others are finding creative ways to manage gear when travelling.

I just got my knife taken at the airport I forgot to put it in the checked luggage :)

I just got my knife taken at the airport I forgot to put it in the checked luggage :)
The week after 9-11 we took a cruise to Alaska. The Oulu knife my wife bought was taken by security upon us returning to the ship, and returned when we docked. Meanwhile, each meal included metal steak knives for everyone.

The budget UK airlines will charge you for everything: food, drinks, even boarding before the other passengers, having a bigger cabin luggage, or having the seats with more leg room.

Aside from the luggage, that's every US airline short of a private jet.

So far I haven't had problems with my odyssey 45+10 backpack. It's a couple of inches longer than common "regulation" size but without hard sides and stiff corners it fits into every overhead bin incl. the ones where "regulation" size roll-ons don't. I can fit all my gear in it, with electronics and the spare t-shirt going into the "+10" "personal item", but since we check in the sharpies and my wife's BCD anyway, I don't bother anymore.

But that's with one pair of shorts, two t-shirts, and 2 pairs of swim trunks for (wetsiut) underwear. Fitting any more clothes in there would be pushing it.

I’m about to go to Thailand for a Liveaboard and work trip. Sadly due to the work trip I need to bring a biz casual wardrobe (no shorts or flip flops allowed, the horror)

Plan is three bags:

Roller carry on size : corporate ware and prizes for work. Plan is to check it at the left luggage in the airport and not take it to the ship. Probably will either carry it on or check it as it’s only one connection via japan and figure it should make it.

O’Neil surfing backpack: I have a Hydros BCD and the back pack that it comes with is awesome, however I think I can get all I need in this pack by using the external surfboard straps for my fins, and using the extra space for my camera gear, reg, computer, lights, mask, booties, wetsuit etc. this bag also has a wet pocket in it for storing wet gear as well.

Avanda Large backpack: basically my electronics bag, computer, tablet, cables, stuff to do on the plane etc. This is my personal item.

I plan on putting my dive gear at the left luggage in the Bangkok airport so I don’t need to haul it around then swap out my corporate bag for when I hit the liveaboards before I fly to Phuket. Then collect everything again before I head over to Europe for the last part of the trip.

If I didn’t have to do the corporate thing I would probably be able to just carry on everything. I plan on full carry on for the flights to Phuket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom