Regulators and corrosion: more fleabay misery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps so: but the photo below, illustrates just how much corrosion can be found within a first stage whose exterior appeared otherwise immaculate. The part was completely pitted; had to be replaced / upgraded; and was no cheap fix -- far more than an annual rebuild would have cost, even in pot-addled San Francisco . . .

Sure, that's quite an example of a corroded reg and in no way indicative of what the OP has right now. He wouldn't know until he got it serviced, which he should do anyway since buying used. Open it up and take a look. Buying parts for modern day regs even a new piston is still far cheaper including servicing then buying most brand new regs.

You got a deal, get it serviced and cleaned and take it diving. You weren't screwed, sometimes things like that are par for the course when buying used.

I'd guess that the sintered metal filter should have showed significant verdigris to suggest moisture in what should be a dry chamber. If the sintered filter was indeed immaculate, then that suggests deliberate deception re: the flooding that likely caused that corrosion.

The sintered filter did appear fairly clean, from what I could initially see. In the Poseidon Xstream, it is -- strangely enough -- situated at the base of the connecting stem, almost abutting the first stage -- and requires a good light to see properly. A flood was quite likely . . .

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Live and learn. Maybe it’s not malicious but it’s not something I would do as a seller.

In future, I’ll know what to look for as a buyer and factor in the unknown for how much I’m willing to pay.
Cheers, all.

Back
Top Bottom