What should I get for a metal detector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your hand will stir up the sand some, but it usually only takes a few seconds to clear itself back up again.

If you want you can get a handheld water scoop, but I'd suggest plastic so that you aren't always tripping your metal detector.

Of course using a scoop will cause almost as much visibility disturbance as your hand will when it comes time to dump the dirt out, but again it's usually just a short lived mess.

You can always get a pinpointer to help locate your targets. The Garrett carrot is only good up to 10' underwater though, so I'd consider the XP MI-6 as I believe that's good up to 30'.

Thanks, I guess it will make me a master of buoyancy control. Looking forward to it.

Get a cannister with a screw top approx. 3 to 4 inch diameter and maybe 8 inch high ,
Cut a star in the top so you can push coins in once in they cant get back out , nothing worse than loosing something you found ,
Never dig with your hands , Fan the sand out of the way and only pick up what you can see, there is plenty of bottle tops with broken glass still in them waiting under the sand
For deeper stuff I use a Dutch hoe ,
bring a lift bag, get the short fat kind , the long ones will let the target hit the bottom in more than 6 feet of water , to stand up and haul it you need to be in 4 foot
largest lump of lead found 35kg or around 70 lbs

One tip for digging up the item is to position yourself so the current is flowing away from you, not at you. If the current continually clears the area your looking at it works better. So that suggests be aware of the tides. Although if your search area is 3' to 6' deep in front of a popular beach then the tides are irrelevant.

My wife was getting bored because all she was finding is bottle caps and trash, so we secretly burred a few coins in front of where we knew she would go. When she found those she was hooked!

From someone who actually does underwater detecting for a living...a few suggestions.
First....

Fresh or saltwater?

I'm assuming jewelry targets based on your posts...so...

If freshwater detecting, find a Tesoro Tigershark....they just closed doors, but still the best gold sniffing FW detector I've ever used...beats my Bluetube Excal 1000 hands down in freshwater...

If salt...Excal..or better yet...a PI detector. Dig everything...I suggest the Aquapulse...FOR SALTWATER.

My Tigershark paid for itself 52 minutes into it's first dive.... hit on the gold wedding band I was looking for under 10" of silt/marl.

Not even gonna go into the money my Aquapulse has found.... lets just say...I'm picking up my 44' Sport/Fish with twin diesels in less than 2 weeks.

Most important thing regardless of what you get...LEARN IT'S LANGUAGE. The machine WILL talk to you, but you have to listen and learn whats it's saying....that takes time and work...

Best of luck!!! AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LAWS WHERE YOUR DETECTING.....you WILL get into a lot of trouble with a detector in the wrong place...

Bubs

From someone who actually does underwater detecting for a living...a few suggestions.
First....

Fresh or saltwater?

I'm assuming jewelry targets based on your posts...so...

If freshwater detecting, find a Tesoro Tigershark....they just closed doors, but still the best gold sniffing FW detector I've ever used...beats my Bluetube Excal 1000 hands down in freshwater...

If salt...Excal..or better yet...a PI detector. Dig everything...I suggest the Aquapulse...FOR SALTWATER.

My Tigershark paid for itself 52 minutes into it's first dive.... hit on the gold wedding band I was looking for under 10" of silt/marl.

Not even gonna go into the money my Aquapulse has found.... lets just say...I'm picking up my 44' Sport/Fish with twin diesels in less than 2 weeks.

Most important thing regardless of what you get...LEARN IT'S LANGUAGE. The machine WILL talk to you, but you have to listen and learn whats it's saying....that takes time and work...

Best of luck!!! AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LAWS WHERE YOUR DETECTING.....you WILL get into a lot of trouble with a detector in the wrong place...

Bubs

I'm guessing that by the weight of the Aquapulse (15lbs) that you aren't doing any beach or shallow water detecting, so how deep are you going with it?

Also make it clear how long you have been doing this and the amount of hours you have spent coming up empty. Too many new people to the hobby think they are going to get into this and find gold on every other swing...........its just not going to happen!

Your success also depends on the area that you are searching, so a seldom used beach will yield significantly less finds than a more heavily used location. Of course with that said, the more use a location has the more detectorists you will find out there.

I 100% agree with leaning the machine and what the tones are telling you. At least 100 hours in my opinion before you can really start to know what's good and what's bad.

I dig everything repeatable, and tend to go after all but the crappiest signals.

Underwater detecting is vastly different than land detecting.........especially from the part of people coming up to you and asking "Have you found any buried treasures yet".........they just simply can't bug you under water. :yeahbaby:

May I ask what do you usually find with a metal detector underwater?

May I ask what do you usually find with a metal detector underwater?
I've found 51 gold and or diamond rings, over 200 silver rings, 12 silver chains, a large gold chain, over 3,000 euros in change in the past 3 years. Lots of other cool stuff also. (You should see my collection of dive masks! LOL!)

I've found 51 gold and or diamond rings, over 200 silver rings, 12 silver chains, a large gold chain, over 3,000 euros in change in the past 3 years. Lots of other cool stuff also. (You should see my collection of dive masks! LOL!)

You made big money !!! Where do you dive? I mean not the exact place that must be a commercial secret of yours, but the type of environment: close to a beach, in a lake, in a river, close to the harbor, etc...

EDIT

I watched your youtube channel in the signature and I got the idea...
Well that could be done also here... Might be worth a try, especially if this gear can be rented. So if the result is good one could think of getting a brand new one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom