Payments to Belize / Ambregris Caye dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always just wait until we do the 1st dive, then pay cash. That way there are no problems with schedule or having to pay some of their taxes, CC fees, etc. Cash talks. Also, only use ATMs INSIDE banks! My dive bud had 2 accounts drained in Cozumel; the dummy used 1 debit card, didn't work, so he used another debit card from different account. Skimmers drained both accounts when he returned to Houston, $15,000. His bank made good on them but he couldn't buy a sandwich when he was back.

A few people suggested just showing up in person to schedule your dives and I often had done that in the past. Two experiences have changed my mind. The first was in May 2018 when I went to Belize with non-diving friends. I didn't schedule anything in advance with Pro Dive Belize until I figured out what the non-divers wanted to do. When I did check in with Pro Dive to schedule, I was told they were booked up except for one day. I used Pro Dive that day and was pleased with them. I used another shop on another day but was not so happy. I wish I had pre-booked with Pro Dive. I have had a similar experience in Grenada where I missed out diving because I didn't pre-book.

admittedly i do always drop them an email asking for a pickup from the villa, which i suppose is basically the same as booking ahead. They are very cool if you just email something like:

'Can i have a pickup for 2pax at Belizian Cove estates tomorrow for a 2 tank dive, we are Padi AOW and will bring all cards'

I always just wait until we do the 1st dive, then pay cash.
Not making a reservation only works if the op doesn’t get booked up. Not paying or depositing ahead only works if the op doesn’t require that - some ops won’t want to guarantee a spot to someone who might not show up. So it just all depends.

Not making a reservation only works if the op doesn’t get booked up. Not paying or depositing ahead only works if the op doesn’t require that - some ops won’t want to guarantee a spot to someone who might not show up. So it just all depends.

Then I would just go to another shop. Lots of dive shops there & most are good.

A few people suggested just showing up in person to schedule your dives and I often had done that in the past. Two experiences have changed my mind. The first was in May 2018 when I went to Belize with non-diving friends. I didn't schedule anything in advance with Pro Dive Belize until I figured out what the non-divers wanted to do. When I did check in with Pro Dive to schedule, I was told they were booked up except for one day. I used Pro Dive that day and was pleased with them. I used another shop on another day but was not so happy. I wish I had pre-booked with Pro Dive. I have had a similar experience in Grenada where I missed out diving because I didn't pre-book.

What if it had turned out the other way - you weren't happy with Pro Dive on the first day? You would have been pre-booked for a week and unable to move to another op.

Yes, there is a risk. Especially if you're all in on a particular shop. I think the risk is small if you're a bit flexible. Never have I personally seen any popular destination so booked that nobody had any spots.

We live in a society that expects everything to be pre-booked and even pre-paid. It wasn't always like that. When I was growing up, my folks would take us on a family vacation every year. Florida, Texas, Virginia, Colorado, Canada, etc. We always drove. Dad never pre-booked anything in his life. He would look for a motel with a Vacancy sign lit up (everyone used to have one) and pull up to the door and go in to see about a room. Often he would come out cussing about highway robbery and off we'd go to the next one. Maybe 3 or 4. Me and sis would cheer when we scored one on the first try but somehow we always ended up sleeping in a bed.

You can cancel any booking with Belize pro dive as long as you do it by 4pm the day before...I think, may be 2pm...

Thanks for all the replies guys. They asked for the credit card number to authorize $100 to confirm my booking. I have a firm booking with them for the first day of diving only, which is a local 2-tank dive. They couldn't confirm Blue Holes or Turneffe as they weren't sure if they were going to have either going out while I'm there, and promised to try to work with other dive shops if needed to get me on the boat (I guess they know who goes where when).

My guess is they just want to confirm I'm not a flake as I never dove with them before, and they are probably busy enough to where they could potentially fill up for the day. They are the highest rated dive shop on the island on Trip Advisor and their rates are the lowest. So far I'd definitely prefer to dive with them. Their cancellation policy isn't anywhere on their web site and what Emeliano said in the email is a bit confusing - "To confirm your booking, we ask for you to fill out the attached credit card authorization form in the amount of $100. We do not run any charges until the day of your activity or in the event of a no show or last minute cancellation, including illness. We reschedule or cancell without cancellation fees if we have inclement weather. ". I guess you have to cancel the day before, or else they charge you for whatever you scheduled, including in case of illness.

I'm not planning to cancel or no show, and I guess I would know if my flight got delayed or cancelled to the point where I'm a day late arriving on the island.

Thinking about it, giving them my credit card number is no different than handing my credit card to a waiter at a restaurant who walks away with it and does god knows what. All things considered I'd trust that dive shop more than most other people considering overwhelmingly positive feedback on Trip Advisor, Google, and this board. I'm just being paranoid based on the number of times my credit card number was stolen somehow.

Back
Top Bottom