Want 6" hose for VTX Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life Ending Seconds • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Curt Bowen

Actually a HP failure isn't a big deal. Personally, I think the extension hose is a solution looking for a problem.

Thanks for sending the link to that interesting article, but their HP hose failure test took 22 minutes to drain the tank and their LP failure drained the tank in just 81 seconds. It seems reasonable to assume If a transmitter broke off the HP port at depth it would empty the tank in a furious blast of air that would be quite dramatic(30 - 40 seconds??). A break off is a worst case scenario, although maybe unlikely to happen this way.

If you unscrew the hose and look in the port you will see the port size is not the same size as the hose fitting which is screwed into it. The bottom of the port has a very small hole in it which feeds the HP device. It's not designed to flow a lot of air. It's only function is to provide a pressure reading.

Since the hole is so small, it takes a long time for all of the gas to pass through even at high pressure.

Thanks for sending the link to that interesting article, but their HP hose failure test took 22 minutes to drain the tank and their LP failure drained the tank in just 72 seconds. It seems reasonable to assume If a transmitter broke off the HP port at depth it would empty the tank in a furious blast of air that would be quite dramatic(20 - 30 seconds??). A break off is a worst case scenario, although maybe unlikely to happen this way.

Why did they put a port extender on? Just to make it easier for them to screw the transmitter in? Sounds like you might want to look for a new DS. The transmitter should need no adapter to fit a HP port. That's a standard fitting. Same with LP ports.

I have 3 regulators, the old US Divers Conshelf Sea that I was planning to use this season does not have enough space between the ports to allow for the transmitter without the port extender or a 6" hose. As suggested by a couple helpful posters, I'll try an HP Spool to try to get the 6" hose to work.

If you unscrew the hose and look in the port you will see the port size is not the same size as the hose fitting which is screwed into it. The bottom of the port has a very small hole in it which feeds HP device It's not designed to flow a lot of air. It's only function is to provide a pressure reading.

Since the hole is so small, it takes a long time for all of the gas to pass through even at high pressure.

Yes you are right! now that I look more closely the hole is quite small! Thanks for educating me!

I have an Oceanic VTX Dive Computer with a transmitter on my regulator first stage. It works fine the way it is.
But other people on dive forums have said it's a risk that someday someone might pick up the tank by grabbing the transmitter, so they recommend mounting the transmitter with a 6" HP hose.

Did you see the other active thread that includes a poll on this issue? Not one case of a transmitter being damaged by lifting the tank using the transmitter as a handle with just about every replying diver on that poll saying they've got hundreds or even thousands of dives under their weightbelt without an incident regarding improper handling of their transmitter.

I see no reason to add an additional failure point and more complexity by putting the transmitter on a hose. It's sort of like saying "I better wear a bulletproof vest when I go outside in case I get run down by a unicorn".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom