I Live in Thailand - My Dive Plans For 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My wife and I (both divers) live in Northeast Thailand, far from the ocean. Because of the distance involved, day trips just aren't practical. So, we generally do three or four liveaboards per year and that's it; 45-60 dives a year.

Here's what we have decided on for 2019:
  • March - South Andaman with the MV Moana.
  • May - Losin to Koh Tao with the Tapana Catamaran
  • September - Just Losin; again with the Tapana Catamaran
  • December - Sipidan. My first non-Thailand diving in many years and the first for my wife. We got talked in to this one
My favorite places to dive in Thailand are the South Andaman and Losin. I've had my fill of the Similans and Surin. Granted, I've had some great dives in the North Andaman but I've come to appreciate the fact that the South Andaman is usually less crowded and has a lot to offer. (I could spend a week at Koh Ha….)

The Losin/Koh Tao trip is one that is offered by most boats just twice a year; at the beginning of the Gulf season when they reposition the boats from the Andaman to the Gulf and again at the end of the season when the boats go back to the West coast. I really like this trip as it is one of the few opportunities to dive Koh Kra.

I should note that both the Moana and Tapana Catamaran are Thai boats that cater to Thai divers. The briefings are in Thai, the food is mostly Thai, and the ambience is very Thai. (You won't do many dives at the break of dawn.)

Questions and comments are welcome.

Dont rule out Bali , which IMVHO has far better diving than Thailand. Should be easy and cheap to connect via KL with Air Asia and no doubt others.

Lucky you ...enjoy your time in Thailand !

I tried to contact Tapana but could not send out the request through "contact us"!! I am tempted to put Thailand on the nationality column! Because it refused to accept my proper entry!!!
I have also sent a e-mail but yet to receive a reply!

Nice plans for 2019! If you are going to continue to be in NE Thailand in 2020 and want to consider something different and a fun little getaway and something not too far away from you and it wouldn't even necessitate a week or more of travel -- Look into Koh Chang, Koh Mak or Koh Kood. Best time to go, as I am sure you know, would be November through February. PM me if you want any recommendations.
I am not talking about a "dedicated dive vacation" as much as a great getaway with some very decent and fun diving included that is off of most peoples radar.

QUOTE="Tippytoes12, post: 8518933, member: 195683"]Dont rule out Bali , which IMVHO has far better diving than Thailand. Should be easy and cheap to connect via KL with Air Asia and no doubt others.
[/QUOTE]

I've been diving in Bali a number of times. It's just that Thailand is so easy for us….

I tried to contact Tapana but could not send out the request through "contact us"!! I am tempted to put Thailand on the nationality column! Because it refused to accept my proper entry!!!
I have also sent a e-mail but yet to receive a reply!

Best to contact Tapana via Line: @tapanaliveaboard

That's the main mode of communication in Thailand.

Look into Koh Chang, Koh Mak or Koh Kood. Best time to go, as I am sure you know, would be November through February. PM me if you want any recommendations.

I've done Koh Chang a few times and it is on our radar. Samae San, in the same general direction, is also a possibility. Oddly, it takes about the same amount of time to drive to Koh Chang as it does to get to Phuket.

My wife and I (both divers) live in Northeast Thailand, far from the ocean. Because of the distance involved, day trips just aren't practical. So, we generally do three or four liveaboards per year and that's it; 45-60 dives a year.

Here's what we have decided on for 2019:
  • March - South Andaman with the MV Moana.
  • May - Losin to Koh Tao with the Tapana Catamaran
  • September - Just Losin; again with the Tapana Catamaran
  • December - Sipidan. My first non-Thailand diving in many years and the first for my wife. We got talked in to this one
My favorite places to dive in Thailand are the South Andaman and Losin. I've had my fill of the Similans and Surin. Granted, I've had some great dives in the North Andaman but I've come to appreciate the fact that the South Andaman is usually less crowded and has a lot to offer. (I could spend a week at Koh Ha….)

The Losin/Koh Tao trip is one that is offered by most boats just twice a year; at the beginning of the Gulf season when they reposition the boats from the Andaman to the Gulf and again at the end of the season when the boats go back to the West coast. I really like this trip as it is one of the few opportunities to dive Koh Kra.

I should note that both the Moana and Tapana Catamaran are Thai boats that cater to Thai divers. The briefings are in Thai, the food is mostly Thai, and the ambience is very Thai. (You won't do many dives at the break of dawn.)

Questions and comments are welcome.

Sounds like a plan...I too live in Thailand (Pattaya). Like you, I've had my fill of the Similans/Richlue Rock circuit and PhuketPhuket Nga Bay diving. However, I've never done the South Andaman so that's still on my list. Have you ever dived on the Phinisi liveaboard to the South Andaman as that's who I'm currently looking at for later this year?

As for the Gulf, I've done all my diving at Ko Tao (mostly courses) and the Pattaya/Samaesan sites/wrecks. Never done Losin but have read good reports. Did you recommend any other operators for this trip than the one you mentioned?

As for my plans this year, I've got 3 trips booked for the Philippines between now and July and I will hit Bohol/Cabilao, Mactan/Maolboal, and Anilao/Puerta Galera.

Forgot to mention...did Sipadan and stayed at Sipadan Water Village in water villa at Mabul. Some of the best diving anywhere...the turtle action is amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom