Pride or Brag Jackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_20190220_065105223.jpg
IMG_20190220_161621640.jpg
IMG_20190220_065105223.jpg

Attachments

• 1520203719754.jpg
    1520203719754.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 209
I still wear my utility jacket, with my ship's insignia patch on one breast, and my Shellback patch on the other.

Still the two patch rule? When I went in some of the blue working jackets were covered. Somewhere around '70 only two patches were allowed. I snuck another when I didn't take off a very small blue diamond squadron pach on my right shoulder that no one noticed.

Bob

@Neptune Warrior

Bravo !
What is old is new again !

I congratulate you on the correct proportions of the red and white dive flag which was established and agreed upon 59 years ago, in 1960 by the then infant diving community which was 5 units wide X 4 units high by 1 unit white stripe, extending from upper left to lower right corner-- The colors were red and white

In 1962 the first accident involving a diver displaying a divers flag being seriously injured by a power boat occurred at Catalina island. I was called as the only expert witness to testify as to the validity of the then new and never litigated divers flag. We prevailed and divers flag with the colors and promotions previously identified were established in a court of law. since that time I have had a number of legal consultations on the divers flag

Now any dumb ass late model tube sucking bubble blower assumes that any white stripe or any color stipe going any way on a red back ground is a a divers flag.

In every dive club which I was a member and those which I was not a member always wore the clubs patches over the left breast on the jacket., a few clubs has huge parches which were also sewn to the back of the jacket I can only assume it was a hold over from WW 11 and Korean peace action (AKA war) . At that junction of history base ball caps did not have the popularity that they currently do.

I commend you on you work with the veterans - I was one also a long time ago

Sam Miller, III
(Capt. USAF-_Korea)

In 1980 most of the more advanced divers at the shop that certified me wore nylon jackets ( think raceing style from that era) and put their PADI cert patches on their jackets or on hooded sweatshirts.

I have my patches but never wore them.

I am just a slow thinking, slow taking, slow waking, diver from SoCal where American recreation diving and American hot rodding began.....So

What is a "racing Jacket "

FYI
Several days ago I was reviewing te 1980 PADI manual-- The contributors /authors were mostly LA CO UW instructors or NAUI instructors- Dennis Graver, Paul Hill,. etc
SDM

$_1.JPG

Googled 70s racing jacket and found many.

There a many similar with STP or oil etc. This one happens to be Dacor and they would put the patches on the sleeves.

Thank you -- now we all know and are working on the same level

I do not recall any jacket such as this jacket identified racing jacket --An early morning education

Now off to the beach for a walk with little dog Lucky

Thanks
Sam Miller, III

Around here, it is not unusual to see stickers from dive destinations adorning the black Stanley rolling tool totes that hold all of our gear. That includes my daughter's and my gear boxes.
Similar concept, I suppose.

@maj2
"Around here, it is not unusual to see stickers from dive destinations adorning the black Stanley rolling tool totes that hold all of our gear. That includes my daughter's and my gear boxes.
Similar concept, I suppose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In 1962 the first accident involving a diver displaying a divers flag being seriously injured by a power boat occurred at Catalina island. I was called as the only expert witness to testify as to the validity of the then new and never litigated divers flag. We prevailed and divers flag with the colors and promotions previously identified were established in a court of law. since that time I have had a number of legal consultations on the divers flag

As a result of the accident and litigation I was chosen in 1969 as the very first "Guest Editor" Of Skin Diver Magazine (SDM.)

My subject of the editorial was "The divers flag - a signpost to safety" in which I urged all divers in the then infant sport of recreational diving to display the divers flag -- on their jackets their vehicles windows and on their tool boxes.

Now after the passage of 50 good and great years my suggestion has been verified
--- that is I am assuming you also display the divers flag along with your dive destination decals

Keep up the good work - It is appreciated

Sam

I suspect, as many people responding to this thread, is that such displays are things of the past. I see fewer student athletes at the high school where I swim sporting lettermen jackets or sweaters. Scouts at one time prominently displayed merit badges, which seems to have declined as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom