ScubaBoard SURGE Central 2020 Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The current schedule for winter 2018-2019 has 2 flights on Saturday afternoon that you can possibly make from the United 4:10pm arrival time. There is one at 5:00pm and one at 5:10pm. I have made the GCM to LCY connection after arriving on the United flight from Houston several times (mostly 4:40 arrival and 5:35 departures), but it can be pretty tight. Keep in mind if you go with that schedule, that Cayman Airways has very little leeway to hold the plane for you that time of year because the runway in Little Cayman doesn't have lights. Pays to have trip insurance in case United gets you in late. You will have to clear immigration, claim luggage, check in and recheck luggage, and go back in through security. The airport is typically pretty empty by that time of day. but it will be a challenge to make it if United is late. Another option from Houston is to take Southwest via FLL. They do have some direct flights from Hobby, but I think only during high season.

What are the flight times for leaving the resort on Jan 18th?

The current 2018/2019 winter flight schedule is here: https://www.caymanairways.com/libra...s-WEB_Schedule_valid_04NOV18_THRU_09MAR19.pdf

No guarantee that they will have same schedule next winter, but probably will be pretty similar. The direct flights shown (twin otter) from LC to GC on Saturdays depart at 8:45am, 9:10am, 10:20am, 2:10pm, and 4:05pm. There are also quite a few connections available to go from LC to CB to GC, but you have to switch planes in CB to the Cayman Airways Saab and go through the xray with your carryon before heading to GC. It doesn't take long, but it is a nuisance when you have the option to fly direct from LC on the twin otter.

I am not sure which flights SB has being held for Surge participants, but if you are interested, I would jump on the direct LC to GC flights sooner rather than later as those often disappear quickly. The GC airport renovation should be complete by then, and early returns are that the crowding and lines are better than in the past. However, do keep in mind that there are something like 15-20 flights that arrive and depart between roughly 11am and 3pm on most Saturdays, so there will likely still be significant midday lines at immigration, flight checkin, and security.

I know I am probably making it sound like it can be difficult to get there...it isn't. The actual process is very smooth most of the time, and having come in through Houston on about 7 of our 9 trips to LC, I wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't worth it. There are just limitations to the volume of passengers and dive gear they can get to LC on the twin otters. So planning well ahead is worth it.

Just found a great fare to GCM and bought my ticket. Got an email from Scott's Cheap Flights about specials to GCM. These fares won't last long. The flights out of Norfolk are over $600, but got one out of Richmond, basic economy for $312. Because of all my camera and dive gear, I upgraded to economy for $25.50 more. WooHoo!! I am booked at a great price!! Now, I just have to hope I can get a room when I call Felix and Al!!
These cities are offering the great fares. List from Scott's Cheap Flights!

Atlanta (ATL) - $290

Charleston (CHS) - $284

Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - $226*

Halifax (YHZ) - $453 CAD

Jacksonville (JAX) - $284

Miami (MIA) - $204*

Montreal (YUL) - $463 CAD

New York City (JFK) - $279*

New York City (LGA) - $282

Newark (EWR) - $282

Orlando (MCO) - $290

Quebec (YQB) - $440 CAD

Raleigh (RDU) - $326

Richmond (RIC) - $284

Tampa (TPA) - $296

Toronto (YYZ) - $429 CAD

West Palm Beach (PBI) - $274

On the 18th, the 9:10 LYB-GCM flight is going to be the one most will choose, I'd surmise.
Any insight on whether adequate capacity can be expected?
Apologies if I missed any relevant info on the 18th flight in previous posts.

Attachments

• JAN11_2020_GCM_LYB.JPG
    JAN11_2020_GCM_LYB.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 205
  • JAN18_2020_LYB_GCM.JPG
    JAN18_2020_LYB_GCM.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 220
Hello everyone,

Regarding flights, this is what Google Flights currently lists:

GRAND CAYMAN TO LITTLE CAYMAN, JANUARY 11TH, 2020:

View attachment 506682

LITTLE CAYMAN TO GRAND CAYMAN, JANUARY 18TH, 2020:

View attachment 506683

For me, the flights on the 11th are not possible.
I'd assume that many people flying into GCM on the 11th could not catch a same-day flight to LYB.
Overnighting on GCM is a reasonable option, and is what I did last time.

On the 18th, that 9:10 flight is going to be the one most will choose, I'd surmise.
Any insight on whether adequate capacity can be expected?
If not, another overnight on GCM is, again, an option, I suppose.

Apologies if I missed any relevant info on the 18th flight in previous posts.

The reason you see that flight schedule is we are currently holding all the related seats for the flights into and out of Little Cayman on the dates for this event.

United’s is the only flight from Houston to Grand Cayman on Jan 11 arrives at 4:10pm that will not work. The last flight from Grand to Little Cayman departs at 5:10. A min. 90 minute connection time is required for international to domestic in GCM

Little Cayman runway has no lights which cause this issue.

This is the reason that after you get a spot we need you to coordinate the airfare with Bay Adventures. We have been dealing with Cayman air for weeks on this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom