Diving in Okinawa in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im thinking about going diving in Okinawa in March, and it looks like the ocean temp will likely be around 23c or 73f. Currently, I usually wear a Mako dive skin which has 1 mm neoprene panels on the front and back under a 3 mm Henderson pro back zip wetsuit. I’ve almost just purchased a Henderson aqualock hooded vest, 3 mm with 5 mm hood. I also have 5 mm boots and some gloves (relatively thin I guess?). Does this seem like it’ll be adequate exposure protection? I know everyone is different but I’m wondering if I’m in the ballpark here. 7 mm in the core, 3 mm arms and legs and 5 mm head and feet?

Thanks for any advice.

Doubt it'll be 23 at depth, that sounds more like a surface temperature, I'd say more like 20-21. I live up north in Shizuoka, our water temps in March are around 13.

Depends I guess if you feel the cold or not. In those temps (20-21) I'm in a two piece 7mm farmer John and about 1 degree away from getting in my drysuit.

Good luck, the diving in Okinawa can be spectacular.

Contact @busybugs (Adam) he's a good friend of mine and an Okinawian local diver.

i'm also diving Okinawa at the beginning of April(checkout dives), and i feel the cold quite a bit. Our guide is supplying 5mm wetsuits, i'm wondering if thats enough.

I lived in Okinawa for 3.5 years, just left last June, and only ever wore a 3mm wetsuit with thin gloves during the winter. You’ll need felt bottom boots if you are doing any shore diving, if diving from a boat any boots should be fine. I am a bit of a warm natured type person, but my wife didn’t wear any more than I did and she is definitely not like me. The Japanese are a bit cold natured and they wear over exposure even during the summer when I’m in trunks and a t shirt they are in 5mms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom