Lionfish Culling Event on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that DiveTech offers the DoE training and Ambassador divers offers a PADI lionfish culler certification. Does anyone know what the differences are in the courses? Does the PADI course allow hunting in Cayman?

The DoE course is what you need to use a spear legally in the Cayman Islands, the PADI course is not limited to the Cayman Islands, it is a distinctive specialty that covers the issue of the invasion as a whole. The PADI course does not legally entitle the holder to shoot lionfish in Cayman, having said that, my understanding of the Ambassador course is that they combine the two courses. That means (from my understanding) that if you do the PADI course with Ambassador then you get the DOE cert as well.

I work for Divetech so can answer qs about that first hand but with regards to what Ambassador offer, to get the most accurate info you are best contacting them direct.

The DoE course is what you need to use a spear legally in the Cayman Islands, the PADI course is not limited to the Cayman Islands, it is a distinctive specialty that covers the issue of the invasion as a whole. The PADI course does not legally entitle the holder to shoot lionfish in Cayman, having said that, my understanding of the Ambassador course is that they combine the two courses. That means (from my understanding) that if you do the PADI course with Ambassador then you get the DOE cert as well.

I work for Divetech so can answer qs about that first hand but with regards to what Ambassador offer, to get the most accurate info you are best contacting them direct.
Great info, thanks.

You are supposed to have a DOE licensed spear and be a working DM to qualify to spear. That said they haven’t bought in new spears for years. I am licensed but perfectly happy to spot and carry the can. Personally I have seen too many morons much less certified never mind using a speargun that I wish the regulations were more strictly enforced.

You are supposed to have a DOE licensed spear and be a working DM to qualify to spear.

You are right in saying that the requirement is to use a DOE spear but you do not have to be a working DM to qualify to spear. Any company who was issued spears by the DOE is allowed to let their customers use them under their supervision provided the customer has completed their DOE course. We for example teach the DOE course and provided the participant passes and is deemed safe and responsible enough then they are entirely legally allowed to use our spears while on our boats provided they are diving with one of our members of staff who can keep an eye on them. There is no requirement to be a DM, working or otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom