Length of boat ride to dive sites and surface conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The patches I tried were purchased on Amazon and billed as herbal.
My motion sickness on flights was getting really bad. No issues with the patches. Zero. Completely unaffected by a rough flight. No pills needed.
When I tried pills first they only helped and left me drowsy.

I feel your brother's pain. I like staying at the Residencias Reef condos which is on the south end of the island. Boat rides can be 5-15 minutes. My seasickness doesn't become in issue on a fast boat moving in the water. It strikes when the momentum forward stops and everyone is gearing up. Also make sure you chose a dive op with land based surface intervals. Sitting on a pitching boat for an hour is a deal breaker.

As with a large number of medications in the US, there's an over-the-counter dose of meclizine and a prescription-only dose.

Ok. Maybe that's what I was told. Is USA prescription bonine available OTC in Mexico?

Ok. Maybe that's what I was told. Is USA prescription bonine available OTC in Mexico?
Or can he take two pills safely?

I don't have a huge motion sickness problem, but I know from experience if it gets sporty I can feel it. I really hate the idea of motion sickness and diving whether on the boat or floating on the surface. It's miserable so I try to avoid it. My pill of choice is the original Dramamine, Dimenhydrinate 50mg. They are cheap and you can get the generic by the 100 ct. at the "superstores." I've never had a problem with drowsiness while diving and they are tame enough that they don't bother me if I have drinks with dinner. My typical regimen in Coz is to take one the night before my first dive day then one each morning as soon as I get up. It's worked well for me. I've definitely been out on days that I could tell that without it I would have felt the "scourge," but with it I just sailed through. A lot of it is just experience and figuring out how your body will react. All IMHO, YMMV. Good luck :).

My wife is prone to seasickness if/when it is getting a little hairy out there. It was suggested that we buy some Cinnarizine (spelled Cinarizina) in Mexico. It is available at most Mexican pharmacies (no prescription needed for gringos but it is behind the counter and not out on the shelf). It isn't sold in the USA but is sold in Canada and Mexico. It is the #1 seasickness pill for the Royal Navy so if it is good enough for them it is good enough for us and it doesn't cause that crazy drowsiness, dry mouth, vision disorders that some others can. I remember taking old Dramamine once and it about knocked me out for 6 hours. From what I've read the recommended Cinnarizine dosage for the prevention of motion sickness varies from 15mg to 50mg. We bought a bottle of 75mg tablets in Mexico (that was all they had) so we just cut them in 1/2 (they were scored anyway) and figure that puts us in the middle of the range for the recommended dosage. Cinnarizine certainly works for my wife (no fish feeding to prove it) and no costly Dr. visit for a prescription for costly patches.

My wife is prone to seasickness if/when it is getting a little hairy out there. It was suggested that we buy some Cinnarizine (spelled Cinarizina) in Mexico. It is available at most Mexican pharmacies (no prescription needed for gringos but it is behind the counter and not out on the shelf). It isn't sold in the USA but is sold in Canada and Mexico.
Wikipedia says not sold in Canada? It's available on Ebay with shipping to the US. Cinnarizine tab. 25mg Travel Sickness (Stugeron) 2x50=100 Tab. Tracking Number | eBay

Back
Top Bottom