Lionfish Culling Event on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
upload_2019-2-19_11-10-45.jpeg

Over the last year or so we have seen lionfish numbers decrease substantially but they are now starting to creep up again. To help keep the population down as much as possible all you have to do is turn up to this event and eat free lionfish samples (yeah... free on Grand Cayman!) and take advantage of the 2-4-1 drinks promos at the Lodge while hanging out with people from the local dive community.

Basically all are welcome whether spearing or not

Attachments

• CULL 28.jpg
    CULL 28.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 142
Looks like a great event that even tourist can spear as long as with a licensed hunter.

Looks like a great event that even tourist can spear as long as with a licensed hunter.

Tourists are as welcome to compete in this event as much as local spearos, we usually get a mix but everyone who is in it has to have completed their Department of Environment training first, that usually takes a half day including a dive. Whether spearing or not, everyone is welcome at the weigh ins when the free samples will be coming out. A few of us are planning to hunt this coming weekend in order to stock the kitchen ahead of time

Yesterday we have a fairly successful hunt where we snagged some lionfish to be given to the kitchen for the event next weekend. The idea is to ensure that we have some fish ahead of time to get free samples out on the Saturday. Sunday will be easy as we will have all the fish that were caught on the Saturday to cook with.

Attachments

• lion.jpg
    lion.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 179
upload_2019-2-24_11-35-8.jpeg

OK... that came out a clittle easier to see

I would love to be there, but other travel plans have been made.

Can tourists bring their spears in for this event? It was my understanding that all spears must be registered.

Can tourists bring their spears in for this event? It was my understanding that all spears must be registered.
The only spears that are allowed to be used to hunt lionfish in the Cayman Islands (at any time, not just for the tournament) are those that are issued by the Department of Environment.

If you want to shoot lionfish legally while here then you need to find a dive operator who has DOE spears, to be fair, many do.

I see that DiveTech offers the DoE training and Ambassador divers offers a PADI lionfish culler certification. Does anyone know what the differences are in the courses? Does the PADI course allow hunting in Cayman?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom