Diving on northern coast of Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the east end of the island (about 30 minutes or so from Loiza), you can dive with SeaVentures out of Fajardo. SeaVentures is a great shop. The diving in Fajardo can vary in terms of visibility. They do occasionally do dive trips out to some of the Virgin Islands.

The north shore of Puerto Rico faces the Atlantic and is not very easy to dive. There is a small marine park (Escambron) just outside of Old San Juan near Condado. I've never dove it but it's good if you just want to get wet.

I've been going to La Parguera each year with some friends for the past 10 years between Christmas and New Years. We'll be there from 12/27 to 12/30 if anyone wants to join.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out SeaVentures.

Ray and Pam, Yes we got to see a good bit of the islands as well as the water and reefs between the islands. The free diving was amazing nearly everywhere, which is why we were hoping to do some diving while we are visiting the condo. most of the roadside stands selling food in PR are good for local fare. One of our favorite spots in PR is Mosquito Bay in Vieques. The bioluminescence is absolutely awe-inspiring.

I just moved here a couple of months ago, well like six but I've been so busy that it only seems like a couple. I haven't had time to do much but I would add that I have been to both Bio Bays and the experience at Mosquito Bay was far and away the better of the two. Just make sure you are there during or near the new moon and go ahead and pay for the flight from Cieba near Fajardo. You can take the ferry which is $2 but Vieques residents can bump you right up until they cast off the lines. The flight is $35 each way per person and the baggage allowance is a generous 70lbs per person.

Now for the diving I have not had much time to get in the water since I got here so if anybody has any input please keep this thread alive. I did drive out to Crash Boat Beach near Aguadilla for a quick shore dive but it was mostly a dial in dive and not much to see where we were.

We dove Desecheo out of Rincon, with Taino Divers, and notwithstanding having to participate in the loading of the boat from the shore, we would do it again. Diving with them two different days, with weather changing between them, we dove the regular (South) side first, and then the less dived North side next. Two totally different experiences, with different structure (and unexploded bombs).

I was hoping to have a similar experience, but Taino cancelled the day before due to maintenance. They referred me to a charter that doesn't do scuba trips. I ended up doing a shore dive with Rincon Diving and Snorkeling that was OK, but no great shakes. The Corcega Wall in Rincon, at the end of Calle 5 (turn at the conch shell house) is very nice, it's just a hefty swim out there, about 1000ft / 300m. Visibility was outstanding by Monterey standards, and with a balmy 79F/26C water temperature I didn't even need a wetsuit. In fact, none of the three of us wore any thermal protection! Darryl the DM has been diving there for a long time, but he definitely has his own opinions about how the dives are supposed to go. When I asked him to go a bit slower, his reply was that he already was going slow.

I was looking forward to a dive with SeaVentures but caught bronchitis from my niece/nephew and had to thumb the dive. They were nice about cancelling and emailed confirmation promptly.

Thanks to all for your recommendations.

I'm already missing Puerto Rico!

Tell me about it!

We've been three times, last in 2017, on Culebra.

Need to get back, planning to be there in 2020.

So many places, so little time.

How would you all rate/compare/contrast puerto rico diving to cozumel? I'm just looking for something new. Been diving a lot of places in both the Caribbean and Asia. I'm having a hard time finding info on PR.

How would you all rate/compare/contrast puerto rico diving to cozumel? I'm just looking for something new. Been diving a lot of places in both the Caribbean and Asia. I'm having a hard time finding info on PR.

I did my first open water dives in Cozumel, back in the mid 80's, and for the next 15 years or so, was down there two or three (sometimes four) times a year.

Finally branched out about fifteen years ago, and started diving more of the Caribbean, as well as the Pacific side.

We dived out of Playa Santa (coastal town for Guanica), and the walls there are comparable in structure to those in Cozumel, with sharp drop offs. What impressed me most was the massive colonies of Black Coral, along with the very viable reef life.

It takes a commitment to get there, but well worth the effort if you are looking for something different and unique.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom