Glass lens frameless Mask fogging issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could very well be. Didn't take long to go down that rabbit hole. Came up with some interesting stuff:

Sealer and Release Agent Reference Guide
This looks like a common release agent.

https://www.smooth-on.com/msds/files/ER200.pdf
Uh, they only listed the volatiles. Note that one of them is a fluorocarbon. (dissolves silicon oil)
Also note the '200' in the name. Very, very common silicon oil. It is very possible that THAT is the culprit.

200 SILICONE OIL 100 CS

It looks like finding a way to hydrolize silicone oil 200 (or its next-of-kin) is a possible approach...

Hydrolysis of polydimethylsiloxane fluids in controlled aqueous solutions. - PubMed - NCBI

Mann Release agents are highly flammable after use. Count that out.

Mann Release agents are highly flammable after use. Count that out.
Not yet. Those two MSDS listed components are propellants. I'm guessing that they were chosen to dissolve silicone-200 in the can under pressure where they would both be liquids. After spraying, they are gone.

There are other ways to apply a release agent including a rag. I'm still looking at low viscosity silicone oils as the release agent, they have all the right properties:

Quoting:
  • High oxidation resistance
  • High shearability without breakdown
  • High spreadability
  • High temperature serviceability
  • High water repellency
  • Low environmental hazard
  • Low fire hazard
  • Low odor
  • Low reactivity
  • Low surface energy

The spreadability and low surface energy of such silicone oils mean that they will crawl across most surfaces and (not shown above) they don't evaporate.

Do NOT use comet. It is too rough and can scratch the glass if you scrub too hard.
Done 7 or more without problem.

Any advice or ideas?
Getting close. I just have to convince myself to buy the very last thing that I need, yet another mask.

So, suppose that it is a release agent on the skirt. I would then think that job one is to clean the skirt first. I'm thinking that a run through the dishwasher with an extra helping of that really alkaline soap would be step one.

Step two would be to see if the glass fogs (I'm guessing that it will) and then attempt to remove the surface contamination. I like to start with extremes so my first trial would be to pour a bit of liquid sink-clog opener (lye) onto the inside of the lens and let it sit for a while...

Dang. New definition of extremophile! You could also use a flamethrower.

I’d love to get a definitive answer on that release chemical from a manufacturer. I’m certain that they all use the same compund.

I’d love to get a definitive answer on that release chemical from a manufacturer. I’m certain that they all use the same compund.
I'm thinking that too...

New definition of extremophile!
Ha! Close. Engineer.

Analyze system response by first exploring both extremes, the answer is usually in the middle (somewhere).

Update: so i flamed both the inside and out side with a regular bic lighter. After it cooled I used some soft scrub to clean the soot off and applied a layer of frog spit multi dive defogger.

I try them out in the pool. They were better but still started to fog about 30min in to it.

I have now flamed them again this time with a cigar jet lighter. No soot this time but I think that is a result of the lighter and not so much anything burning off the lens. I cleaned them with comet this time and will use my normal gel defogger before I get in the water.

I’m going to dive a lake tomorrow reported water temp around 54*

I never flame the outside.
I never flame til things turn black.
I never flame to the extent that the glass has to cool.

Back
Top Bottom