Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Boiler_81

"I dive a US divers 1953 concave bottomed cylinder with one of my early double hose regulators. It is clean inside and passes hydro every five years. I have no concern filling it or diving it."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This entre thread is so interesting

I began diving some time ago and along the way acquired most of Rene Sporting goods/ US Divers literature as well as the original Spaco manual.

I do not recall a Rene tank dated 1953 that had concave bottom.

Spaco and all "RENE" cylinders were slightly rounded and only offered in two sizes the "70" amd the "40" which as a single tanks were designated as a women's tank and when made into triples were navy tanks (and indeed they were )

In December 1954 Rene's US Divers was acquired by JYC ad a bunch of SoCal car dealers as backers and the designation "Rene" stamped on diving cylinders immediately disappeared.in favor of US Divers

I am just curious how such a unique RENE US Divers SCUBA tank migrated to the mid west ?
( I also assume you attended PU and are a life long Boilermaker )

SDM

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_12-12-46.png
    upload_2019-2-20_12-12-46.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 51
You were offered rental tanks of which you refused

Based on the posts in this thread, you are making things up. I see no post where she said such an offer was made or refused.

You aren't doing yourself any favours with this crusade on behalf of a shop not your own that utterly failed customer service 101. You are managing to fail yourself, and it isn't even your issue.

I know one shop I will never visit, one charter I will never book.

Can you guess who?

Fully Tek

That's ok we run our dive business more out of passion than for a profit. We are a buisy as we want to be and I don't need your business. We are the only vessel in our operating area that is in compliance with all transport Canada marine safety regulations. We dont have brake downs and out vessel is comfortable to dive off of.

We go places you will only dream about.

Based on the posts in this thread, you are making things up. I see no post where she said such an offer was made or refused.

You have only bothered to look at one side of the story.
Why dont to call force e and ask for there side.?

You have only bothered to look at one side of the story.
Why dont to call force e and ask for there side.?
Simple question: If they have a policy, why is it so hard for them to provide it?

Their inability or unwillingness to do so is the root cause of this whole discussion, your travels down rat holes notwithstanding. They have acted inconsistently with regard to a policy they say they have but have not produced.

The credibility of what they are telling you is clearly in question as they obviously gave you incorrect information about the age of the tanks. The OP has not, AFAIK, been shown to have provided any inaccurate information.

I also have no basis for believing that you have or have not been getting information directly from them anyway. I would suggest if they want to clarify they should post themselves. You certainly aren't doing their case any good.

That's ok we run our dive business more out of passion than for a profit. We are a buisy as we want to be and I don't need your business. We are the only vessel in our operating area that is in compliance with all transport Canada marine safety regulations. We dont have brake downs and out vessel is comfortable to dive off of.

We go places you will only dream about.
There are more dives than I will ever get around to doing. I think I'll be fine.

Dr Miller, I told myself I was done with this thread but for you one more:). The tank is stamped Rene and has the Broxton Ave address. It is dated 7-53 and was made by PST.

I purchased it in the Detroit area from the estate of one of the early local divers. At the time of the purchase, I also got a blue label Broxton. At one time, I had his name as his family shared a bit of his history with me. I wish I still had it, maybe you would have known him or knew who he was.

Yes, I'm a Purdue Boilermaker now living in MI.

@Boiler_81

"I dive a US divers 1953 concave bottomed cylinder with one of my early double hose regulators. It is clean inside and passes hydro every five years. I have no concern filling it or diving it."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This entre thread is so interesting

I began diving some time ago and along the way acquired most of Rene Sporting goods/ US Divers literature as well as the original Spaco manual.

I do not recall a Rene tank dated 1953 that had concave bottom.

Spaco and all "RENE" cylinders were slightly rounded and only offered in two sizes the "70" amd the "40" which as a single tanks were designated as a women's tank and when made into triples were navy tanks (and indeed they were )

In December 1954 Rene's US Divers was acquired by JYC ad a bunch of SoCal car dealers as backers and the designation "Rene" stamped on diving cylinders immediately disappeared.in favor of US Divers

I am just curious how such a unique RENE US Divers SCUBA tank migrated to the mid west ?
( I also assume you attended PU and are a life long Boilermaker )

SDM

Simple question: If they have a policy, why is it so hard for them to provide it?

Their inability or unwillingness to do so is the root cause of this whole discussion, your travels down rat holes notwithstanding. They have acted inconsistently with regard to a policy they say they have but have not produced.

The credibility of what they are telling you is clearly in question as they obviously gave you incorrect information about the age of the tanks. The OP has not, AFAIK, been shown to have provided any inaccurate information.

I also have no basis for believing that you have or have not been getting information directly from them anyway. I would suggest if they want to clarify they should post themselves. You certainly aren't doing their case any good.

Can you provide us with the written policy for fills from any dive shop . I'll bet more shops dont have it in writing than those who actually do.

Good grief the dive shop turned away some ****** old tanks . They are within their rights to do so. There are hundreds of shops that will refuse to fill them.

Get over it. You dont like take your money elsewhere. force e runs a safe operation.

Of you all feel it's ok to take unnecessary risks then please go get hurt off someone else's boat or in someone else's shop

That's ok we run our dive business more out of passion than for a profit. We are a buisy as we want to be and I don't need your business.

Your website says sdi affiliation: but their website site doesn't list your business. Is this part of your passion for operating without profit? It also doesn't list you by name for any sdi or tdi specialties. I spent the last hour searching.

Some one asserted that the vip had been done by the shop in question . I would like to see if that is true.

Since you obviously know it was not the OP, why do you even bring it up?

Free enterprise allows the dive shop to refuse to fill for any reason.

That is not not true in the US, refuse to fill because the customer is black and you will wish you hadn't. There are other examples.

You were offered rental tanks of which you refused.

Why would anyone rent tanks when they have perfectly good tanks in their possession at the time. I doubt if one could rent old steel 72's there anyway.

You were not wronged or ripped off.

i would consider myself wronged if a shop refused to fill my legally inspected cylinders, especially if they had been filling them up to that point, pointing out a policy they say had been in force the whole time.

Your intention for starting the thread was only to slander force e scuba.

The OP was only letting other divers know that they could be inconvenienced by an arbitrary policy in place at that shop. I, for one, appreciate that information in my area. Possibly you should look into the legal definition is slander.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom