Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point is if I'm not the one who inspected the tank then I'm trusting a stranger who took a $200 course.
Have you found an example of a steel tank that blew up while it was in hydro and vis? Ever?

NOW I'm done.

Bahaha! I cannot tell you how many replies I have typed and deleted. It was a little fun for a while? Before it got to the beatings and the dead horses.

Brt pleas ask tomasky to Google it for you .

Any shop can refuse any service for any reason.

I have refused to fill pre 1990 al 80s in my shop in the past because that's our policy you can paste links all day to tell me why I'm wrong I'm still not going to fill that tank. On the occasion that I have refused a fill I have offered a to loan a tank free of charge heck I wouldn't even charge for the fill.
Or they can drive 2 hrs to the next city and try there luck.

Use my tank for free and dive tomorrow or piss and moan and sit on the dock. The safety of my crew and my self are more important than your $14

Do I trust your TC inspection? Did the guy know what he was doing? :gas:

You emailed to complain about how you feel entitled to your stuff being filled regardless of the safety of the shop staff.

You have been asked on this form to provide photos and any history on these tanks and you haven't provided them .

They asked for more information they are not being unreasonable?

Ok you have a new shop that finds the risk of filling your junk as acceptable my point is if you travel to other destinations you shouldn't be surprised when you are refused a fill.

Last I checked both steel and aluminum tanks are made from recyclable materials. I think the environmental footprint of manufacturing new tanks is an acceptable cost compared to a person's life.
She has been very clear that she emailed and asked for their policy,

They did not provide it. They instead asked a bunch of questions.

Yes, this is unreasonable on the part of the shop. They should have provided their policy as requested.

OK, I lied. I will reply to this.

No, $200 does not make someone able to say if a pressure vessel is safe. DOT / TCA has created standards that, if followed, *they* say create a safe pressure vessel. And they ONLY MANDATE a 5-year HYDRO cycle. VIP is *beyond* that.

And we are not "deciding if a pressure vessel is safe." We are determining if conditions of the tank have changed to put it outside of what DOT and TCA consider a safe pressure vessel.

If DOT and TCA are OK with it, what makes you think that your emotional intuition is SO MUCH better?!?

NOW I'm done.
VIP is a scuba industry creation. AFAIK it is not government regulation. Government safety standards only mandate the hydro.

Edit: Re-read your post. You already said that. Count this as an underline then. :)

Just to clarify the OP has provided inaccurate information.
The tanks in question are 51 year old steel 72s . I wonder what other details my be in question

Back
Top Bottom