New fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seen a few people talk about the Hollis F1. Is there any difference between the all black and the yellow tip besides price?

Just remember, as I learned here, Split fins Kill. LMAO.

I got a pair of Hollis F1s and love them. I wear a thick soled boot, not a full rock boot, but they fit great and work awesome. They are heavy though, so if you have Floaty legs they will help.
Boots I wear are SEAC Pro HD 6mm Neoprene Wetsuit Boot XL about an 11-11.5 US
My fins are F1 XL and they fit good. Could probably fit a little larger boot. A XXL would probably work for you. Best bet would be to find somewhere or someone that has them and try them on. Oh and I found a lightly used pair on ebay for $90. Best of luck.

OMS slipstreams are ALMOST a perfect fin. the material is amazing and the feeling you get when frog sticking is buttery soft, while you still move quickly. the only problem is the foot pocket. while it feels comfy and soft, it lacks stiffness in the top of the pocket and what happens (QUICKLY) is a crease is formed inward on the top of your foot where the pocket bends inward. if they fixed this, i would buy another pair in a second. i really tried to talk myself into dealing with this, even considered modifying the pocket myself because i loved the rest of the fins. ultimately, the diverites are just too good to be messing around with the broken design from OMS.

ALSO, to the OP, watch out for the many fins that have a downward (if you're standing up) curve toward the tip of the fin (e.g., atomic blade, zeagle recon). This part of the design is for flutter kick, but it reduces the range of motion of the blade of the fin during frog kick, and depending on your technique, also takes way from your back kick.

Update: I borrowed a pair of OMS in XXL yesterday. Granted I was in the pool and in a dry suit so not at depth and no thermals but I though they were pretty light. I’m going to try them in the lake this weekend but I think I’m going to look for something alittle heavier.

How about DiveRite's XT fins - any views/feedback on those? I'm guessing they're tec/frog orientated?

I use the XTs for wetsuit diving after trying literally countless fins, I've owned most fins usually recommended. They are stiff, slightly negative, I can do all kicks in them, I predominantly frog kick FWIW. The big plus for me is the Ms have a nice long blade. I'm a large in jets etc and in that size the blade is tiny. With the XTs I found my go to wetsuit fin. My search is over.

It seems like most (but not all!) people in a drysuit end up wanting fins that are somewhat negative, to help combat floaty feet. In that case, the Hollis F1 is an excellent choice. It's the only fin I use in a drysuit and it works well and is comfortable.

My pair of size XL Hollis F1 fins are 2# negative in fresh water.

My size Regular Hollis F1 LT fins are 1# negative in fresh water.

I have not weighed Jet fins, but all the other fins I have weighed are 1# negative or less. Dive Rite XTs were about 0.7# negative (IIRC). Deep6 Eddy fins are just very slightly negative in fresh water (neutral, for practical purposes).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom