New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Switch from one gas to another? Easy.
Go back to a dive? Easy.
Read it at depth? Easy.
AI? Sure, it would be nice to only look at one gauge and know what is going on.

"Easy" is in the eye of the beholder. To me, one button is easy: I hardly ever press it. I have no problem reading my puck at depth on a sunny Caribbean reef. And at night I just shine the torch at it.

Air integration typically implies your own regulator too.

I have shearwaters and are very happy in regards to all the issues you have mentioned. You can find them for 4-600 easily and they will d=serve you for many years. I have had a preditor petrel 1 and 2 i really like the petrels and especially the 2 with the compass and availlability to use any battery that fits in the hole. Im sure that there are other makers that have evolved to intuitive menu structure's like the shearwaters, however i am only familiar with the shearwaters BTW I bought my shearwaters beause of the very reasons you have stated. Look in the classifieds here on SB to start.

HI @swimmer_spe

Sounds like you need a basic computer that is easy to access. I'm rather sure you don't need multigas, just the ability to dive nitrox. Not sure why you have problems with you XR1 unless you can't follow the manual. What deco algorithm do you want to dive, I'll bet you don't know what I'm talking about. If you want to continue to dive DSAT, I would recommend the GEO2, If you want AI, buy @stuartv Atom 3 he has for sale on SB. It's hard to help sometimes.

HI @swimmer_spe If you want to continue to dive DSAT, I would recommend the GEO2, .

and I'm going to sell my Geo2. Just gotta make the advert. 1.5years old, ~50gives. ... cheap.

PADI O/W diver here with less than 3 years experience. Up to now have either rented or borrowed a DC. I was close to buying either a Giotto or SP Aladin Sport. I procrastinated and finally end up buying a used Petrel 2. WOW. So easy to use as a Rec only diver. Easy to replace the AA battery. Solid re-sale value. Easy to read with mediocre viz. For me buying a used Shearwater is a no brainer.

Yup, the Oceanic Geo 2 is a great little computer.

@swimmer_spe assuming the weather & roads are good, next weekend is the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show and there will be a lot of dive related exhibits. Included in those will be several dive shops (mostly from the GTA) who would be very willing to take a few minutes to talk to you. Some might even have "show specials" available.

Hopefully, Highway 69 will be clear and you can make the drive down. I really think that it will be worth the time.

I currently have an older computer, an Aeris XR1. I have decided to replace it for many reasons. So, here are my complaints:

1) single button option - not easy to navigate it.

3) hard to see screen - There is no back light.

4) Not user friendly - I have no idea how to swap it over for Nitrox or other gas mixes

So, what would you suggest that solves these issues?

Hi swimmer,

On another computer thread, an instructor wrote that he tells his students to buy either a $300 (or less) PDC or a Shearwater. I am in the process of stealing his philosophy on this issue. He is right on.

I just purchased a Perdix AI. I have several Oceanic computers and they have been excellent. Some are user friendly and some aren't. My 3 gas Oceanic is a pain to switch gases u/w. It is also a pain to change nitrox values on the surface. Not the Perdix.

I dived the Perdix and Nerd 2 in Curacao. I viewed the Teric u/w (it was on someone else's wrist).

They are easier to use, easy to see, they have the lowest warranty issue rate of any computer. Warranty and service issues are required to be turned around in 5 days.

To iterate, spend $300 or less on some other computer, or step-up and buy a Shearwater. They are that good.

Thanks,
markm

@swimmer_spe assuming the weather & roads are good, next weekend is the Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show and there will be a lot of dive related exhibits. Included in those will be several dive shops (mostly from the GTA) who would be very willing to take a few minutes to talk to you. Some might even have "show specials" available.

Hopefully, Highway 69 will be clear and you can make the drive down. I really think that it will be worth the time.

Sadly, I am busy that weekend. I am enjoying the beautiful snow on my snowmachine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom