Sidemount options... reposting in more correct spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello guys and gals,

I’m thinking that next year I’m going to make the jump into sidemount for some deep wreck and cavern dives. I’m leaning towards the Dive Rite Nomad, but see sooo many of them for sale on EBay it makes me think they are not up to snuff. So with that said, what input do you guys have for sidemount set ups. What’s good, what’s bad, etc. Before this particular topic gets brought up, No... I’m not interested inBackmount doubles. Thanks all!

Zack

xDeep Stealth. Tec if you’re going to be diving steels or a bunch of stages. The Classic if you’re just doing backgas with a couple stages/deco bottles.

The Nomad sucks. ScubaForce has a new sidemount system out called the Blade but I haven’t used it. It looks similar to a Stealth but with a wide soft plate looking thing, same with Hollis’ new Katana 2, similar to the Stealth but with some changes. I don’t know that I’d pick up either over a Stealth though. It’s a well-proven design all over the world.

Are you going to be carrying stages? Deco gas? How “deep” is deep wrecks? Actual penetration? There isn’t a cavern dive on earth that requires sidemount, so it’s really not the deciding factor in terms of what features you need. The wreck stuff however, may dictate some things depending on the environment and the profile.

xdeep stealth tec or classic, forget the rec model. the Tea and the classic are perfect for for steels, alu80s, stages, no stage, warm water, cold water, wet or dry, they're travel friendly and bullet proof.

hello guys and gals,

I’m thinking that next year I’m going to make the jump into sidemount for some deep wreck and cavern dives. I’m leaning towards the Dive Rite Nomad, but see sooo many of them for sale on EBay it makes me think they are not up to snuff. So with that said, what input do you guys have for sidemount set ups. What’s good, what’s bad, etc. Before this particular topic gets brought up, No... I’m not interested inBackmount doubles. Thanks all!

Zack

like we said before, you need to drive to Marianna and go to Cave Adventurers for 4-5 days. They have just about every rig on the market available for demo. Take your cavern class there in one of their rigs, and then take the next few days to yourself to try all of the rigs you want and figure out what works out. With your proximity, it really is a no-brainer.

That said, for deep wrecks I think doubles is vastly superior, but that's my opinion *been sidemount diving for 10 years fwiw*

i
hello guys and gals,

Zack
Ive got a Nomad - I don't think theyre too bad theyre versatile - you can use as sidemount single tank twins carry stage- ive dived tropics and cold water dry suit wet suit and are a good all round robust BCD and they have good lift -dont be put off if you can pick one up cheap than grab it..after a while you'll; make some minor adjustments - all BCD have plus and minus points. its like any gear it takes time to get used to it

it doesnt matter if your doing caves or wreck or whatever dont get sucked into the elitist mindset of you have to have such and such BCD -you can go sidemount just because you want to

I have the diverite regs and although I like them for breathing they have one issue that really annoys me, you can't spin the turrret all the way around as the lock nut catches on the hose coupling - it overcomeable but its a design flaw that should have been picked up

you can't spin the turrret all the way around as the lock nut catches on the hose coupling -
Deep6 sig and SP Mk 25 turrets spin around and around. Unless the hose hits the modular valve extension, which it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom