Best mask for a mustasche??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an oddly shaped face, so when I buy a new mask (I have six) it works for a little while, then develops leaks. I've figured out to smooth the wrinkles (on either side of my nose) out after I put the mask on, so that makes it a bit better.

Took six masks (including a $1000 OTS Guardian) to finally find one that fits perfect, and it was a $25 mask I found on 5th Ave. in Playa del Carmen.

The purge mask I bought before the trip seals well, but the purge valve makes the nose pocket pretty stiff and I finish most dives with a welt underneath my nose. But no leaks. I would have taken the FFM with me but the dive shop preferred me in a mask that they are familar with. Probably a good idea.

The FFM is a perfect mask for people who have trouble sealing, but it comes with a price. I paid $1000 for mine, without comms. Not a big deal, because the mask seals perfectly and I apparently think I'm made of money (an opinion that my wife does not share, unfortunately). Do some research though.....the FFM I have is positive-pressure, and as a result, I find that I use more air when compared to a regular mask (stress and workload considered) but it's never leaked. I find myself consciously taking smaller breaths with this mask when I don't have to concentrate on breathing with a regular mask, but I've only got about five dives on it, so it's still a work in progress. It would work fine with most moustaches as far as I can tell, but for those with neck-beards you may want to look elsewhere.

If you don't want to take the plunge on the Guardian I would recommend the OTS Spectrum. It has the same seals as the Guardian but you can use your own second stage with it. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper at around $399. I was using an Interspiro AGA and lost a bunch of weight and could no longer get a seal. I tried out the Spectrum and had no problem with the seal.

A Gellet razor worked for me. I finally gave up with the mustache. I figured I liked diving more than the mustache.

Not the best photo, sorry. I use either a scubapro spectra2 or an apollo SV-2. If the beard gets a bit bushy, usually 4 weeks after the last trim m no2 clippers, I get a bit of leakage, but controllable. I do not have the straps too tight, i just make sure the back of the strap is level with the mask. When I need a new mask I just do the standard inhale and hold test, if the mask stays on I buy it. Never had a problem with bad leaking yet

Attachments

• D66DE790-66C8-46CB-AF55-1B1FDEB6D383.jpeg
    D66DE790-66C8-46CB-AF55-1B1FDEB6D383.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 49
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom