Scuba Junkie Komodo and Geko Dive Bali trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Komodo is on my bucket list, and I am planning to go there in May - June 2020, and I am thinking of adding Bali to that trip. I was under opinion that the best time to visit Komodo is May to August, and talking about Bali, January is supposed to be a rainy season. How many days of diving would you recommend at Komodo and Bali?
Komodo is better visited october-november period since all sites can be accessed north and south, june to september time will only allow north and central diving. Bali is fine from april to november (although I was in Bali this Xmas and that was perfect but also deemed lucky for the period).
May can also allow you divig South but do not extend to June, ths period would also be OK for Bali though Molamola season would not be open yet (July to november).

So, I would say a week liveaboard for Komodo coupled with 10days in Bali would allow you to dive the most interesting sites.
Depending on what you're looking for i would suggest you to find a liveaboard which itinerary also plies east of Sumbawa / NW Komodo before diving central
and south Komodo NP.
Bali's mot interesting sites are around Tulamben for black sand macro, Padang bai for molamola hunting, as well as Nusa Penida for blue water coral dives (that you can dive from Padang Bai). You cannot miss staying inland for cultural sightings, 2 dive places in Bali + 2 days sightseeing are well worth 10 days in Bali for a first trip.
All in all and door to door, you should consider 3 weeks.

Komodo is better visited october-november period since all sites can be accessed north and south, june to september time will only allow north and central diving. Bali is fine from april to november (although I was in Bali this Xmas and that was perfect but also deemed lucky for the period).
May can also allow you divig South but do not extend to June, ths period would also be OK for Bali though Molamola season would not be open yet (July to november).

So, I would say a week liveaboard for Komodo coupled with 10days in Bali would allow you to dive the most interesting sites.
Depending on what you're looking for i would suggest you to find a liveaboard which itinerary also plies east of Sumbawa / NW Komodo before diving central
and south Komodo NP.
Bali's mot interesting sites are around Tulamben for black sand macro, Padang bai for molamola hunting, as well as Nusa Penida for blue water coral dives (that you can dive from Padang Bai). You cannot miss staying inland for cultural sightings, 2 dive places in Bali + 2 days sightseeing are well worth 10 days in Bali for a first trip.
All in all and door to door, you should consider 3 weeks.

Luko, many thanks for valuable recommendations. It looks like October - November is the best time. I am looking mostly for land-based resorts as my wife is not a diver, but snorkeler.
Thank you again.

Luko, many thanks for valuable recommendations. It looks like October - November is the best time. I am looking mostly for land-based resorts as my wife is not a diver, but snorkeler.
Thank you again.
Then if you don't go on a liveaboard, Southern parts of Komodo NP won't be (or hardly be) accessible from land based resorts, hence you're carried back to your initial schedule and may to june won't make any difference diving central or north Komodo.

Many thanks for your detailed report, Rob699.

It is very informative, and I like the format of your report.
Komodo is on my bucket list, and I am planning to go there in May - June 2020, and I am thinking of adding Bali to that trip. I was under opinion that the best time to visit Komodo is May to August, and talking about Bali, January is supposed to be a rainy season. How many days of diving would you recommend at Komodo and Bali?

Thanks. Nice to get that feedback. It was my first time to Komodo and easy to get there, and for not much money. I see that Luko has already answered you, he has a wealth of knowledge so I don't have much else to add. I would though spend more time in Komodo than in Bali. This is because: I have been to Bali three times, I don't do many muck dives as I've not got great vision and I don't like temples. In Bali I enjoy Nusa Penida and you can stay in Padang Bai and dive with Geko, that's a good choice in my view.

For my next visit though in mid April I'm really struggling to find a liveaboard for Komodo for a reasonable cost. Scuba Junkie Komodo are full otherwise that's where I would be going. I won't stay in Labuan Bajo in Flores so I might instead be going to Nusa Penida or even Lombok next door for a change.

Then if you don't go on a liveaboard, Southern parts of Komodo NP won't be (or hardly be) accessible from land based resorts, hence you're carried back to your initial schedule and may to june won't make any difference diving central or north Komodo.
Thank you, Luko. In this case I will work on my initial plan.

Thanks. Nice to get that feedback. It was my first time to Komodo and easy to get there, and for not much money. I see that Luko has already answered you, he has a wealth of knowledge so I don't have much else to add. I would though spend more time in Komodo than in Bali. This is because: I have been to Bali three times, I don't do many muck dives as I've not got great vision and I don't like temples. In Bali I enjoy Nusa Penida and you can stay in Padang Bai and dive with Geko, that's a good choice in my view.

For my next visit though in mid April I'm really struggling to find a liveaboard for Komodo for a reasonable cost. Scuba Junkie Komodo are full otherwise that's where I would be going. I won't stay in Labuan Bajo in Flores so I might instead be going to Nusa Penida or even Lombok next door for a change.

Thank you, Rob669. I will try to do an advanced booking for Komodo, and with respect to Bali, in addition to diving (and hopefully coral planting), I would like to treat my wife with some sightseeing and beaches.

Hi
Regarding Komodo South, it is accessible from the land based Scuba Junkie.
I was there at the end of December and went South a few times.
By the way, SJ is a great operator :)
And anyway, where ever you go, it will be nice :)
Have a good day.

What’s the comfort level for English only speakers? Any creature comforts of home you missed?
Richard, Great question. Comfort level depends on location, remoteness, and ability to deal with simple/harmless delays or mis-communication. English ‘only’ works in many locations in Indonesia, in particular resorts that cater to westerners. Consider a visit!

Hi
Regarding Komodo South, it is accessible from the land based Scuba Junkie.
I was there at the end of December and went South a few times.
By the way, SJ is a great operator :)
And anyway, where ever you go, it will be nice :)
Have a good day.

Hi Jale, I have dived with Scuba Junkie and really really liked them (Dived three times with them over the past 3 years and did my DMT with them but always in September and October) but I dont think they go South Komodo to around the Manta Alley area. Three Sisters and Pillarstein which is the furthest south they go is still considerably Central Komodo haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom