ScubaPro HUD (new computer on the market)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I've ever seen a single open circuit diver with a NERD (1 or 2).

I will probably get a NERD2 eventually, for my CCR. But, having a NERD mounted on my regulator hose when I'm diving open circuit just doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm kind of surprised Shearwater (or someone) hasn't come out with some kind of "universal" mount to let you mount a NERD2 on a mask. I could maybe get onboard with that.

Or a parts and/or vendor reference to provide a Helmet mount. I would have to order various similar looking parts and work through trial and error. I would love to have a BOM that I could order what is known to work.

if someone can get their hands on a HUD and has a spare few minutes to test if GFLo affects on NDL on a NDL dive ....

... by running a dive plan for a given depth, one at a custom Gf of 10/90 and the other at 90/90 and see if the NDLs are different and post the result back on this thread On a NDL dive, which computers' NDLs are not affected by GFLo? ...

That would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think I've ever seen a single open circuit diver with a NERD (1 or 2).

I will probably get a NERD2 eventually, for my CCR. But, having a NERD mounted on my regulator hose when I'm diving open circuit just doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm kind of surprised Shearwater (or someone) hasn't come out with some kind of "universal" mount to let you mount a NERD2 on a mask. I could maybe get onboard with that.

Function-wise I don't mind it, however, if I have to switch over to a necklaced 2nd, I lose the HUD, so I'd be diving my backup on wrist at that point. Not ideal imo.

Function-wise I don't mind it, however, if I have to switch over to a necklaced 2nd, I lose the HUD, so I'd be diving my backup on wrist at that point. Not ideal imo.

Exactly. I think IF I were to use a NERD for OC diving, well, first, it would only be for single tank. And second, I think I would mount it on the short hose necklaced 2nd and use that as my primary. Then stow the long hose to be donated if necessary. My single tank reg long hose is a 40". I don't think it would work with a 7' hose (which is why I wouldn't try it with doubles).

Exactly. I think IF I were to use a NERD for OC diving, well, first, it would only be for single tank. And second, I think I would mount it on the short hose necklaced 2nd and use that as my primary. Then stow the long hose to be donated if necessary. My single tank reg long hose is a 40". I don't think it would work with a 7' hose (which is why I wouldn't try it with doubles).

That's something to consider mounting it to necklaced 2nd. I've also gone to a 40" on my single tank instead of the 7', since all of my diving is pretty much ocean diving with no wreck penetrations. Still, for $1,500+ I'd prefer it to be an ideal solution and not have a major hiccup. A mask mounted option would appear to solve the issue.

What is the point of a HUD for OC? I guess the compass would be helpful for long navigation legs - I like that feature on my NERD. But other than that, why would you want it? It just really seems like more of a CCR thing.

What is the point of a HUD for OC? I guess the compass would be helpful for long navigation legs - I like that feature on my NERD. But other than that, why would you want it? It just really seems like more of a CCR thing.

Speaking just for myself, I think it would be handy for nav (as you said), and for being able to keep both hands on my camera (or whatever) while still easily monitoring my depth, NDL, and cylinder pressure. Those same things could also make it pretty handy in a rescue scenario, when surfacing a non-responsive diver.

I wouldn't buy one just for OC. At least, not at the current price level. But, if I could have one that would work well with both my CCR and OC, I would use it on both. Unfortunately, the CCR models only come with a cable hanging off them that makes them suboptimal for use on OC.

I am hoping Shearwater will soon come out with a NERD3 that is even more compact and lighter and has a wireless interface for AI and (wireless) for monitoring CCR ppO2 levels. Oh, and 4 buttons and a screen layout (and compass) like the Teric has. And a good mask mount option, too. That would be The Bomb!

It does seem weird to me that the NERD display is round, yet it only uses a rectangular portion of its display.

Speaking just for myself, I think it would be handy for nav (as you said), and for being able to keep both hands on my camera (or whatever) while still easily monitoring my depth, NDL, and cylinder pressure. Those same things could also make it pretty handy in a rescue scenario, when surfacing a non-responsive diver.

C'mon Stuart, you are a CCR diver now! You know that there is a big difference between the necessary check frequency for PO2 and SPGs. You shouldn't need to check your data on OC that often. I don't dive without my DSLR, I know what it's like to focus on camera equipment and not want to have to check your gauges frequently, but on OC I was never so occupied with the camera that I needed to check gas pressures during the course of a shot.

Compare that to CCR, where it's pretty much standard to have SOME sort of HUD. Maybe you don't need a NERD, but most CCR designers accept the fact that you have to check PO2 so frequently that a handset alone isn't enough.

If you are surfacing a non-responsive diver, you are either within NDLs and just ascending without worrying about your gauges, or you have a deco obligation and you are making a very hard choice. Hard to believe that tech rescue is the target market.

I am hoping Shearwater will soon come out with a NERD3 that is even more compact and lighter and has a wireless interface for AI and (wireless) for monitoring CCR ppO2 levels. Oh, and 4 buttons and a screen layout (and compass) like the Teric has. And a good mask mount option, too. That would be The Bomb!

NERD4 will have a waterproof arterial line and Swan-Ganz catheter, with direct PO2 and cardiac pressure monitoring. NERD5 will just do the dive for you and post about it on Facebook! :D

NERD4 will have a waterproof arterial line and Swan-Ganz catheter, with direct PO2 and cardiac pressure monitoring. NERD5 will just do the dive for you and post about it on Facebook! :D
I'm adding Stuart's NERD 3 and Dr. Mike's NERD 4 and 5 to the New Product Ideas list. I'm not kidding. These are cool concepts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom