Drills for already time-challenged teams and members

Which of the three drills do you find most useful?

• • Short “On-Duty” drills that run anywhere from 10 sec to 15 min per person or “group”, with group d

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • • Scenario mission-driven drills that last from 10 min to 90 min per “group”.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • • The standard half or full day drill where the majority of the team members attend and perform the

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good read.

I will preface with the fact that I am not a PSD, however am a FF/EMT in a very busy urban dept in Maryland.

In my experience "on duty" drills are by far the most effective, especially when given with little or no time to prepare for the scenario.

When I was a tasked with training new probationers the topic came up of performance. We would dedicate entire days to line advancement, with often less than ideal results. Eventually we came up with the idea of just pulling lines when we were out driving around. Going to the store for food? Why not do a surprise stretch on a building? Doing drivers training? Even better time to drive around and do surprise stretches. To my surprise their performance increased immediately.

After talking to them outside of the training environment basically what we learned is that they wont put 100% into a training exercise that takes all day, in an effort to conserve energy and not be gassed after every evolution.

Most times we could arrive, pull a line, stretch and re-rack within 10 minutes. This is a drill we practice atleast twice a tour. Along with truck drivers sticking windows and training with ladders, On-Duty training is crucial and in my opinion will get the best results from your team (when not training for specific scenarios or technical techniques).

Our department has done both the short on duty drills with each platoon along with the longer scenario based drills with good results. We have done the throw bag drill with a trash can at 50 feet as well as simulating river banks on the station ramp with ropes and setting up a tensioned highline with a boat based lowering system. We also work with our dive tenders by having a "diver" lay on a creeper in the bay and pull himself along simulating search patterns so the tender gets a feel for what the diver is doing. The department also does boat drills at least 3-4 times during the spring and summer. Our water rescue team trains monthly conducting both dive and swiftwater drills. The short drills and scenarios help members develop muscle memory so when the monthly team drills take place they are familiar with the operations and get hands on in water training. I think both these types of drills work to make members more proficient and safe. Good article.

If all departments trained as you describe below the entire industry would be far more skilled. I bet you're able to keep enthusiasm high.

Good read.

I will preface with the fact that I am not a PSD, however am a FF/EMT in a very busy urban dept in Maryland.

In my experience "on duty" drills are by far the most effective, especially when given with little or no time to prepare for the scenario.

When I was a tasked with training new probationers the topic came up of performance. We would dedicate entire days to line advancement, with often less than ideal results. Eventually we came up with the idea of just pulling lines when we were out driving around. Going to the store for food? Why not do a surprise stretch on a building? Doing drivers training? Even better time to drive around and do surprise stretches. To my surprise their performance increased immediately.

After talking to them outside of the training environment basically what we learned is that they wont put 100% into a training exercise that takes all day, in an effort to conserve energy and not be gassed after every evolution.

Most times we could arrive, pull a line, stretch and re-rack within 10 minutes. This is a drill we practice atleast twice a tour. Along with truck drivers sticking windows and training with ladders, On-Duty training is crucial and in my opinion will get the best results from your team (when not training for specific scenarios or technical techniques).
Good read.

ppp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom