Buddy Dive - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There aren’t a lot of fully a/c options on Bonaire for the reasons wwguy gave but Connie’s condos at Port Bonaire are all fully air conditioned and without use restrictions so far. I have stayed in 2 of her three units and very clean and nicely appointed. Will stay in her 3rd unit in April. Obviously very satisfied.

Oceanvista Bonaire - Oceanfront Condo with Incredible View - VRBO

OceanEdge Bonaire - Oceanfront Condo with Incredible View - VRBO

Oceanscape Bonaire - - Oceanfront Condo with Incredible View - VRBO

There aren’t a lot of fully a/c options on Bonaire for the reasons wwguy gave but Connie’s condos at Port Bonaire are all fully air conditioned and without use restrictions so far. I have stayed in 2 of her three units and very clean and nicely appointed. Will stay in her 3rd unit in April. Obviously very satisfied.

Oceanvista Bonaire - Oceanfront Condo with Incredible View - VRBO

OceanEdge Bonaire - Oceanfront Condo with Incredible View - VRBO

Oceanscape Bonaire - - Oceanfront Condo with Incredible View - VRBO
Den Laman is a good option for full A/C and waterfront: Home - Den Laman

Disclaimer: My comments below are general observations after 22 years of enjoying Bonaire, and are not specific to Buddy Dive or Belmar.

Bedroom airco is usually sized to cool the bedroom only, and is primarily intended to be used only while sleeping at night. Oversizing the wall-mount units to cool additional living space is expensive for owners to purchase and operate, and is also inefficient vs. dedicated airco in each room. Additionally, the aluminum coils and fins on an over-sized unit will usually freeze up when cooling an undersized space (same as with central airco.)

It's fairly common for tourists from colder climes to try to use bedroom airco to cool the whole villa, and to leave it running during the day in a usually futile attempt to make up for the insufficient cooling capacity. Electricity on Bonaire costs several times what we pay in the USA so it's also fairly common for guests to be charged a surcharge for excess consumption of electricity beyond what is deemed "normal" by the property owner. If not already clear in the rental contract it's best to inquire about this in advance with your property rental company, rather than be surprised with it later.

If you require airco in the entire villa the best solution is to find one that offers it. Even then you should ask about expected usage (night-only vs. all day etc.) to avoid unexpected and expensive surcharges.

So is it balmy other than the bedroom? Or is it somewhat cool due to being on the ocean? I hate to be a wuss, but I don’t want to sweat while hanging in my room even if I’m not in it all that often.

So is it balmy other than the bedroom? Or is it somewhat cool due to being on the ocean? I hate to be a wuss, but I don’t want to sweat while hanging in my room even if I’m not in it all that often.
I'm from Idaho, which is a 4 season state with very low relative humidity, so Bonaire is always hot to me in comparison. I've visited Bonaire in August and September when the trade winds were almost non-existent and found any place without A/C (other than the sea) to be unbearable.

But when the winds are blowing steadily, which they are most of the year, they're very effective at providing sufficient cooling in living cooking, and sleeping spaces. Of course that's dependent on choosing accommodations with favorable exposure to the wind and screened windows. On our recent 3 week trip over the Christmas holidays we newer turned A/C on anywhere in our villa the entire trip.

Belmar has great position for wind, but I can't remember if their apartments are fully screened. I also acknowledge that different people have different tolerances to heat. What might be fine for me might be hot or cold for you (and my wife too!)

I'm from Idaho, which is a 4 season state with very low relative humidity, so Bonaire is always hot to me in comparison. I've visited Bonaire in August and September when the trade winds were almost non-existent and found any place without A/C (other than the sea) to be unbearable.

But when the winds are blowing steadily, which they are most of the year, they're very effective at providing sufficient cooling in living cooking, and sleeping spaces. Of course that's dependent on choosing accommodations with favorable exposure to the wind and screened windows. On our recent 3 week trip over the Christmas holidays we newer turned A/C on anywhere in our villa the entire trip.

Belmar has great position for wind, but I can't remember if their apartments are fully screened. I also acknowledge that different people have different tolerances to heat. What might be fine for me might be hot or cold for you (and my wife too!)
Thanks! I have low tolerance for the heat when I’m indoors. Outside, I can handle it. I was there in August last year and could not imagine not having air in the room. Actually, we were there during Christmas as well and it was still pretty hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom