New guy from South GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris_A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I have been a certified Open Water diver since 2001 but being in the army and always being stationed inland I ran into a lot of places that didn't have anywhere for me to dive or no one that was certified close to me back in the day to go diving with. I have snorkeled here and there in some rivers and ponds but never got to put a tank on my back. It has been quite a while since I have been down but I am going to change that.

I have since retired after serving 24 years and being 100% disabled through VA as some of my injures from Iraq and Afghanistan didn't better and some got a little worse. I figured I would get back into diving since I have the time and nothing else to do. I am going to try and use my VA rehabilitation or my post 9/11 bill to get back into some classes as I would like to get some more certifications.

The certifications I am going for would be rescue diver, search and recovery, wreck diver and work my way up to become a dive instructor. We used to have a dive shop here in my home town as I had seen it when ever I was able to come on leave but when I retired and moved back home I saw that it had closed down. I found one dive shop about an hour from me that teaches all of the classes I want to take to get all of my cert's as the one that is 20 minutes from me are not and will not be setting up for folks to use their education benefits.

I know I have some questions on things as like I said it has been awhile since I had purchased any equipment and I have been looking at some stuff that some folks have for sale but some of the stuff is older and I am just not sure if the items can still be serviced or not.

Anyways any information and help you folks can give me and share with me would be very much appreciated on my end and trust me I can't wait to start these classes and get back out there back to something I miss doing and had fun doing.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....good luck with your quest...oh by the way..thanks for your service to the U.S.A.

Thanks you and thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be here and I have been reading up on stuff brushing off the cobwebs in my brain with this.

Welcome, the board here is a great resource. I would also suggest checking out SUDS. I had the privilege of diving with some of the folks recently. Great people and a great organization!

HOME - SUDS Diving

Oh, you are further west! I thought maybe you were near Diver’s Den in St. Mary’s, they dive offshore GA. If you stick around here you’re going to hear a lot about diving a BP/w, a backplate and wing. If you drive down to cave country, to Ginnie Springs, there are scuba shops ( Cave Country, Extreme Exposure) that can show you those and freelance as well as shop instructors that can take you to a whole new level of diving inspired by cave diving which, even if you never become a cave diver, will make you a superb diver.

Thanks It would be nice if I had some shops closer to me and other folks closer that dive. The one shop they had here years ago shut down and the only shop close by is in Tallahasse and it's an ok shop but when I went there is was small and everything was so close together and they also sell archery stuff and other things.

I did look up the Cave Country dive shop and they are right there close to I75. I will try and go by there next time I head down to Gainesville for a VA appointment which will be on the 5th of next month as I have to go stay the night and have a procedure done so I will try to make it a point to stop by there before I head on down the Gainesville.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom