Undersea nasties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't had to use it yet, but I have a big jar and tongs to deal with collecting live cones. Textile Cones are venomous too.
Why do you want to collect live cones?

@scubadada
"You don't collect live cones do you? "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@rabe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't you realize @TMHeimer is working on another new and exciting PADI specialty
"Cone shell collecting"
Followed by "Advanced cone shell collection and treatment"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@60plus
FYI
A book for you to acquire and read --about dangerous critters of the sea

A book-- actually three books that should be in every serious traveling divers library
"Poisonous and venomous Marine Animals of the world" by Dr Bruce Halstead,

I first met the author Dr. Bruce Halstead at a party at Bob Rutherford's home in the mid 1950s. (see portage Quarry -Legends of diving--Sea Sabers signaling system-Bob was the father of Underwater signaling ) At that time Dr Halstead was just dreaming about completing his 23 year extensive research on Dangerous Marine Animals and publishing a book...He did very well......

His first work, a three volume book set is titled "Poisonous and venomous Marine Animals of the world" by Dr Bruce Halstead, LCCC 65-60000, hard picture covers with out dust jackets published in 1965 by the US Government printing office. This work is the base line which all present and certainly future research will be based. There was nothing like it published prior to his research and certainly nothing of this magnitude will published by future researchers

Volume 1 is 994 Pages, Volume 11 consists of 1070 pages and volume 111 consists of 1006 pages for total of 3007 well illustrated pages jammed packed with valuable information. Each 8 -1/2 X 11 page is lavishly illustrated with drawings and underwater and topside photographs of the animals .

It's original publication price in 1965 was $160.00 hard earned Yankee dollars. Some years ago a beat up well used research set sold for $750.00 on E bay, currently there are several listed in the used book market ranging from around $100.00 for a single chapter of the book to almost $600.00 for the complete set. I suspect that most do not have or have never seen or possibly heard of the set-- Now you have!

There is a less expensive book also by Dr Halstead that is addressed to the layman. it is :

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" published 1959,Cornell Maritime press, LCCC 58-59799, 146 pages, hard cover with dust jacket

The second revised and enlarged consumer edition;

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" was revised and enlarged was published in 1980, ISBN 0- 87033-268-6, 208 pages, picture cover, no dust jacket.

Yes, I have all the editions and all are inscribed to me by Dr Halstead..

There is also another published edition "A color atlas of dangerous marine animals" by Dr Halstead, Paul Auerbach and Dorman Campbell. Published in 1990 ISBN # 0849371392 & ISBN # 9780894371994. It is an illustrated photo edition that might also be of interest to the traveler.

With advent of international dive travel to remote locations often devoid of modern medical assistance it would behoove the modern dive traveler to obtain at the minimum one of the later two books for their reference library. It would be a good investment

DD
Sam Miller III

@scubadada
"You don't collect live cones do you? "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@rabe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't you realize @TMHeimer is working on another new and exciting PADI specialty
"Cone shell collecting"
Followed by "Advanced cone shell collection and treatment"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@60plus
FYI
A book for you to acquire and read --about dangerous critters of the sea

A book-- actually three books that should be in every serious traveling divers library
"Poisonous and venomous Marine Animals of the world" by Dr Bruce Halstead,

I first met the author Dr. Bruce Halstead at a party at Bob Rutherford's home in the mid 1950s. (see portage Quarry -Legends of diving--Sea Sabers signaling system-Bob was the father of Underwater signaling ) At that time Dr Halstead was just dreaming about completing his 23 year extensive research on Dangerous Marine Animals and publishing a book...He did very well......

His first work, a three volume book set is titled "Poisonous and venomous Marine Animals of the world" by Dr Bruce Halstead, LCCC 65-60000, hard picture covers with out dust jackets published in 1965 by the US Government printing office. This work is the base line which all present and certainly future research will be based. There was nothing like it published prior to his research and certainly nothing of this magnitude will published by future researchers

Volume 1 is 994 Pages, Volume 11 consists of 1070 pages and volume 111 consists of 1006 pages for total of 3007 well illustrated pages jammed packed with valuable information. Each 8 -1/2 X 11 page is lavishly illustrated with drawings and underwater and topside photographs of the animals .

It's original publication price in 1965 was $160.00 hard earned Yankee dollars. Some years ago a beat up well used research set sold for $750.00 on E bay, currently there are several listed in the used book market ranging from around $100.00 for a single chapter of the book to almost $600.00 for the complete set. I suspect that most do not have or have never seen or possibly heard of the set-- Now you have!

There is a less expensive book also by Dr Halstead that is addressed to the layman. it is :

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" published 1959,Cornell Maritime press, LCCC 58-59799, 146 pages, hard cover with dust jacket

The second revised and enlarged consumer edition;

"Dangerous marine Animals-that bite, sting -are non-edible" was revised and enlarged was published in 1980, ISBN 0- 87033-268-6, 208 pages, picture cover, no dust jacket.

Yes, I have all the editions and all are inscribed to me by Dr Halstead..

There is also another published edition "A color atlas of dangerous marine animals" by Dr Halstead, Paul Auerbach and Dorman Campbell. Published in 1990 ISBN # 0849371392 & ISBN # 9780894371994. It is an illustrated photo edition that might also be of interest to the traveler.

With advent of international dive travel to remote locations often devoid of modern medical assistance it would behoove the modern dive traveler to obtain at the minimum one of the later two books for their reference library. It would be a good investment

DD
Sam Miller III
Am I missing something here?
I really don't get your answer.
Everybody knows (or they should know) that cones are venomous, like many other creatures of the sea (and travellers -not only divers- should know a little bit of what kind of danger they will meet during their trip)...
This doesn't justify the fact that he wants to collect cones. And your answer doesn't really make sense to me...
Or you're trying to say that (and I really hope I'm misunderstanding): because they are venomous we should get rid of them...
Because this is way too ****** up man...

TMHeimer collects live shells. He is a collector. He may not be the most popular diver on ScubaBoard because of this, but he is pretty thick skinned about it.

TMHeimer collects live shells. He is a collector. He may not be the most popular diver on ScubaBoard because of this, but he is pretty thick skinned about it.
well, that's very bad and sad to know

I have. I've also read the work of Alan Kohn and James Nybakken, two of the pioneers in cone snail biology.

Getting back to the OP, there are a few species of cone snail who's envenomation can cause serious distress or even death. None of these occur in North American waters. I suppose it's possible that someone could experience a serious allergic reaction to a North American cone snail venom, but I'm not aware of any recorded cases of this. Also, the snails tend to recoil when collected, so the chances of actually being envenomated are pretty small. I worry a lot more about stubbing a toe on the dive boat than I do any harm from a marine mollusk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom