poseidon regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,

I recently bought a random Poseidon(edit-> Jetstream 3960) regulator off craigslist that seemed to be in good working condition. It pressures up and the regs seem to breathe easily, but I haven't taken it to any depth outside of the tub...Once I got home to do some research on it, I realized that I got myself deeper than I expected...

I was unfamiliar with the poseidon brand before I bought it :shakehead:
Since I didn't do my research, I didn't realize how rare they were in the Texas area

If I primarily dive in a lake caused by a reservoir, which is around 50F to 80F, and in the Caribbean, I realized that I might not need such a kind of regulator...
Can someone here vouch for the use of a Poseidon as a recreational level regulator, and direct me to someone who will service them in Austin Texas? I tried calling around, it seems most shops do not service them, even Scubaland, the "authorized seller" of poseidon according to the Poseidon website does not service them in Austin.....

Also, it seems hard to tell the actual year of manufacture, is there a way to tell? What should be the average cost of service parts?
I got ONE quote out of 4 shops I called that estimated it to be around $150 or so.....

Thanks!
Edit -> After some research... after I buy it -.-;
It seems to be a Poseidon 3960 from 2007 based on the serial number.
Sadly, as an indictment of my equipment recognition skills, I didn't even realize that it had the 2920 DIN -> YOKE converter... for some reason i thought it was a giant yoke reg...

EDIT -> Some pictures

View attachment 123062View attachment 123063View attachment 123064View attachment 123065View attachment 123066View attachment 123067View attachment 123068View attachment 123069View attachment 123070View attachment 123071View attachment 123072View attachment 123073
Hello, I was wondering how you determined the year based in the serial number. I am trying to do the same and having difficulty. Thanks

Hello, I was wondering how you determined the year based in the serial number. I am trying to do the same and having difficulty. Thanks
Hmm, I unfortunately totally forget. Some modern google searching is failing me too. If I had to guess, I found a similar item listed on ebay/scubaboard with the actual date purchased but with a serial number very close to mine.

If all else fails, I bet poseidon might tell you if you asked!

They are the first two numbers, which denote the year, at least on some of the more recent second stage bodies; so too, on the first stages. The photos below illustrate both a serial number of a 2010 first and second stage.

"200001 or 1200001 serial number, six or seven digit, [after the model number] denotes year of manufacture. 2 = 2002 ; 12 = 2012,"

-- from the Poseidon service manuals . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 306
Hey,

I recently bought a random Poseidon(edit-> Jetstream 3960) regulator off craigslist that seemed to be in good working condition. It pressures up and the regs seem to breathe easily, but I haven't taken it to any depth outside of the tub...Once I got home to do some research on it, I realized that I got myself deeper than I expected...

I was unfamiliar with the poseidon brand before I bought it :shakehead:
Since I didn't do my research, I didn't realize how rare they were in the Texas area

If I primarily dive in a lake caused by a reservoir, which is around 50F to 80F, and in the Caribbean, I realized that I might not need such a kind of regulator...
Can someone here vouch for the use of a Poseidon as a recreational level regulator, and direct me to someone who will service them in Austin Texas? I tried calling around, it seems most shops do not service them, even Scubaland, the "authorized seller" of poseidon according to the Poseidon website does not service them in Austin.....

Also, it seems hard to tell the actual year of manufacture, is there a way to tell? What should be the average cost of service parts?
I got ONE quote out of 4 shops I called that estimated it to be around $150 or so.....

Thanks!
Edit -> After some research... after I buy it -.-;
It seems to be a Poseidon 3960 from 2007 based on the serial number.
Sadly, as an indictment of my equipment recognition skills, I didn't even realize that it had the 2920 DIN -> YOKE converter... for some reason i thought it was a giant yoke reg...

EDIT -> Some pictures

View attachment 123062View attachment 123063View attachment 123064View attachment 123065View attachment 123066View attachment 123067View attachment 123068View attachment 123069View attachment 123070View attachment 123071View attachment 123072View attachment 123073
Scubatoys in Carrollton, Oceanic Adventures in Houston, Sea Sports Scuba in Cypress are service centers not too far away. Poseidon is offering a class in Houston on June 22 if you want to learn to service them yourself. Maybe @Tbone0608 or someone else will correct me, but it looks like you have a relief valve on your first stage so not necessary to run a hose to your second with one. Poseidon for Rec diving? Heck yeah! They are all I use.

Maybe [USER=395347:
@Tbone0608[/USER] or someone else will correct me, but it looks like you have a relief valve on your first stage so not necessary to run a hose to your second with one. Poseidon for Rec diving? Heck yeah! They are all I use.

There is an OPV in that first stage; so a conventional hose could indeed be used . . .

They are the first two numbers, which denote the year, at least on some of the more recent second stage bodies; so too, on the first stages. The photo below illustrates a serial number of a 2010 first stage.

"200001 or 1200001 serial number, six or seven digit, [after the model number] denotes year of manufacture. 2 = 2002 ; 12 = 2012,"

-- from the Poseidon service manuals . . .
Cool. Thanks

So this one is 2009? Thanks

Attachments

• 40418ED5-888C-48A0-A482-58E70F3D55A3.png
    40418ED5-888C-48A0-A482-58E70F3D55A3.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 297
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom