I’d like some genuine opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a lot of people that have a few extra pounds that dive frequently. Here where I live I would just advise someone who is planning to lose weight to hold off on buying a drysuit as it's a big investment and you don't want to spend the money and end up selling because it ends up too big. Like others have said diving isn't an activity that will help lose weight but it does get you active so that's never a bad thing.

SO my question is simply this. Is this sport something that can be done while I’m losing the weight? I loved the training I took before but would rather get some blunt truth if this is not a sport for larger fellas.
I lost 100 lbs in the year after I took OW class. Not exclusively because of diving. While the dive its-self is not strenuous, carrying gear around can be.

I went with NAUI. That price you have is almost shockingly low from what I've seen. I've rarely seen an open water class much cheaper than $350 from any agency.

So ju
He lives in Florida - classes are cheaper there since there's so many options.Plus they provide less equipment doing warm water diving so their costs are less. Even boat charters in some areas are more reasonable but likely still extra. Or they do the cert dives off the beach or in a nearby spring.

So just called and with rental of gear and boat fees and all. Cert card and out the door $350-$400. They cert from the beach mostly

Lots of fat people dive. Probably because once you hit the water you're weightless. That much being said, there are a few misconceptions. An overweight person who is clearly going to be out of shape still needs to handle gear, which means some physical exertion getting prepared for the dive. If you're on a dive and there's a need for physical exertion, such as swimming against a current to get back to shore or the boat, an overweight out of shape individual has a much greater risk of having a medical incident. Indeed, a large percentage of dive accidents are directly related to a medical incident that occurs during the dive.

Lastly, there's a common misconception that exercise will do a lot to help a person lose weight. It won't. When it comes to weight loss, exercise does little to nothing as far as shedding pounds. Don't believe me? Look it up.

As a medic I know this all to be true. I’m in good shape both physically and mentally. I have just experienced some weight gain from inactivity. I actually have lost the most weight from simply changing the way I eat on the daily. So when I’m released in the next few weeks for physical activity I’m sure the weight will come off again.

I feel your pain, in 29 years as a firefighter/paramedic I have had several injuries requiring 4 different surgeries. After returning to work following each injury, 2 of the injuries I was out for a year each, I gained at least 20-25 pounds. Diving along with diet and exercise help shed the tons. Good luck and shop around for classes. You are on the right path looking for opinions and reviews from the board.

Welcome to the forum! I'm a big guy too -- even though I've exercised at least 5 times a week for over 15 years now, without fail. For me, I think part of it is genetic, though I admit I do like to eat. Everyone has weight loss advice, and I've tried most everything, but I can never lose more than about 30 lbs. before gaining it all back again. I've really enjoyed getting into diving, though I do feel a bit like a sausage in a wet suit -- but I'm not going to let that stop me.

Quick 2 cents-- Can't comment on injury/rehab with diving of course. As stated, many large people dive. I recently read a quote: "You don't dive to get in shape, you get in shape to dive". I take that to mean you should aim for easy benign diving until you're 100%. Topic for other threads--It's not a sport.

Quick 2 cents-- Can't comment on injury/rehab with diving of course. As stated, many large people dive. I recently read a quote: "You don't dive to get in shape, you get in shape to dive". I take that to mean you should aim for easy benign diving until you're 100%. Topic for other threads--It's not a sport.

OK so let me clear the air on some things because to be honest I’m not blaming anyone but I’m pointing out that many people are not reading my original post they’re just reading what other people are saying and then they’re commenting so let me say this :
1. I am in good physical health
2. I am in good physical shape
3. Being fat is not the same as being obese
4. I am NOT looking to do this to lose weight.

I am wanting to take up diving because I enjoy snorkeling and am trained for swift water rescue as well as white water rescue. I used the word fat because I am heavier than ever before. So this is just another adventure for me. I skydive, kayak, go white water rafting.

Then I think you'll do just fine and have a great time. On an online forum, we can't 'see' you and read the nuances of your situation, and may wish to err on the side of caution to help avoid leading someone into trouble.

Richard.

Yes, you can scuba dive and simultaneously lose weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom