Sharks and Video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have always been under the impression that constant lights (video) do not appeal to sharks but I may be wrong and I was looking for any research on the subject

I am quite positive that strobes are almost invisible to sharks that are almost blind as I have never seen a reaction but for video lights I have always find marine life to react in some ways and therefore always excluded sharks and video lights as a combination

Recently though I have seen some some footage of sharks shot with video lights so I am particularly curious about it

Has anyone any evidence empirical or scientific to understand more about this?

that constant lights (video) do not appeal to sharks

This is a no scientific evidence reply!!!

Other than bull sharks, other sharks have more sensitivity to light from what I've heard through the years. Always heard that light reflects off of different things that might trick a shark into thinking they see fish scales, so they head in that direction to investigate. Knowing that light does cause marine life to react (such as in illuminating plankton for manta rays and fish around docks) I really believe that my fantastic experience of 5-6 spinner dolphins breaking from the pack of about 100 and swimming right to me was due to me forgetting my video light was still on as I watched them and they were attracted to it. I have a picture attached to a couple of my old posts somewhere on SB.

I always try to be sure my light is off around sharks although I probably wouldn't have any fear if it was a nurse shark resting on the bottom!

Would think Discover Channel and/or Shark Week divers/scientists may have some experience/evidence regarding your inquiry.

Only anecdotal; I probably have somewhere between 5-10 of these clips of 'head-on' encounters with sharks while filming video underwater.

I have never noticed a reaction to my video lights when filming sharks around the world. Maybe I should be more observant!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom