I'm a rec instructor. I want to be a tec instructor. No tec experience. I'm gonna need your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't mention PADI. What I wrote applies equally to all agencies. They sell you a dream, but you get to live the nightmare alone.

Ok, but he's been a PADI instructor for 10 years. That's one avenue that he should be fully aware.

If he came and said "what do you think of PADI's tec program versus other agencies?" or "What should be the qualifications in terms of training and experience before I actually become a tec instructor" or similar, the reaction would be completely different.

I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt. When I took my cavern course in MX from a respected cave instructor, I didn't know what I was in for. I expected something just a little more involved than another PADI specialty. And I got a big surprise - and ended up loving it. So if someone has never left the confines of recreational resort diving, they just may not know any better, even after ten years as a professional in that environment.

I took his original post to mean he didnt want to travel half way around the world several times for different classes. Sort of looking for something like the Utila Dive Center or many other places that do the zero to hero training in a way that make more economical sense with emphasis on economical fast rather than corner cutting fast.

I am not suggesting that is a good way to become a tech instructor, but I belive it is possible to do. Line them up consecutively etc.

Having somewhat defended his question, my advice would be to do up to at least tech 50 or the TDI equivalent. As an instructor, I wanted to do up to 50 and then maybe Tri and then maybe tech instructor....after tech 45 I decided I do want to dive it but lost any motivation to teach it...he may find the same.

Ok, but he's been a PADI instructor for 10 years.
And the logical progression would be to become a Tek instructor, but not before you learn to be a Tek diver. We obviously disagree about his motivations. You want to find fault with someone you don't even know, and I want to encourage him to proceed and find his way. I don't subscribe to "bash and let bash", but it's your time to do with what you want.

I've been driving cars for ... a looong time. Do I know the process to become a race car driver? The classes I would need to take? The hierarchy of licenses? No. Do I know the further process to be an instructor to teach people to be race car drivers? Definitely not.

Apparently, my awareness and acumen for driving are very low.

That being said, do you think you would have anything of value to teach an aspiring race car driver?

....someone you don't even know, .....

No one I know would be ever ask such a question. That’s why I’d be willing to bet money this is a troll post.

No one I know would be ever ask such a question. That’s why I’d be willing to bet money this is a troll post.
Again, I'm more open minded and reticent to attack someone I barely know. I'm not psychic as a few appear to be.

[QUOTE="The Chairman, post: 8544992, member: 879"]And the logical progression would be to become a Tek instructor, but not before you learn to be a Tek diver. We obviously disagree about his motivations. You want to find fault with someone you don't even know, and I want to encourage him to proceed and find his way. I don't subscribe to "bash and let bash", but it's your time to do with what you want.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly some Dive Masters become Dive masters before they really "Learn" how to dive (50 dives) same goes for some instructors (100 dives) also you can lump in a few more categories of "divers".

This person asked a question and got kicked in the balls for asking....I see the same people who defend the groups I mentioned above condemning the OP.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom