Replace the battery, or replace the computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My reason is my current computer is not very user friendly to me. I still go to various dive vacations. Just got back from Cuba and probably the DR in a few months.

I have never really liked the computer I have.
This is what I would do ,, and it ,would be a good process. Try changing the battery your self. one of 2 things will happen it leaks and yo need a new puter or it works. Either way start looking for a newer one that will resolve the negative issues you have with the one you have. my big thing is logical simple menu large buttons and a large screen. you may have other priorities to consider.

The Aeris XR1 is a perfectly functional, basic, single button computer running DSAT. The battery change is very easy, I've done the identical battery change on my Oceanic VT3 and my son's VT4 many times.

Sounds like you simply want a new computer, go for it. As others have said, the XR1 would make a very good, liberal, backup computer. I would definitely change the battery, don't toss it. At least, give it to someone else.

I don't think you're going to find a "simpler" computer than an XR1. But I agree with scubadada, please donate it to someone else, don't pitch it.

One thing, I have an XR1 and an XR1NX, they are hard on batteries. Easy to replace though. Install the o-ring into the computer body first and then push the clear cover down into that. The instructions may say to place the o-ring on the clear cover first. That doesn't work.

I don't think you're going to find a "simpler" computer than an XR1. But I agree with scubadada, please donate it to someone else, don't pitch it.

One thing, I have an XR1 and an XR1NX, they are hard on batteries. Easy to replace though. Install the o-ring into the computer body first and then push the clear cover down into that. The instructions may say to place the o-ring on the clear cover first. That doesn't work.

It would not end up in the trash. I just want a computer that is more user friendly. I curse it all the time when it comes to writing down the stuff from it into my log.

Dove an Atmos AI - liked it enough to get a 2nd as a backup even after having the pressure sensor go out and getting it refurbed. Sadly with Oceanic killing that line with the buyout, both are now relegated as backups to my Galileo Luna. Wife's Suunto died (hated that computer as it was ultra conservative) and she ended up with a Luna. Since I could read hers from a distance, I kinda liked it too. I found a great deal on a used one and now we dive Lunas with the Atmos AI along in the reg bag just in case. I did get to use it when another diver forgot his DC - pulled his SPG and spun on the Atmos QD and he was good to go. At least it's getting some use and that really made his day.

My wife dove an XR1 for several years before we finally replaced it with a Veo 2.0. It did it's job just fine but I agree the single button interface is a PITA to deal with, particularly when we started diving nitrox and she had to actually interface with it for each dive. The 2 button is much easier

Aeris products are no longer supported by Oceanic, so you are on your own for any major issues.
Even though Aeris products are not officially supported by Oceanic, I believe you can count on the same quality of service as you would for any brand new Oceaning or Hollis product. In fact, Oceanic does not discriminate by brands It provides roughy the same quality service for any brand, including ScubaPro, Aqualung, Halcyon, Voit, US Divers, Nemrod, ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom