Any info on decent diving prices in Puerto Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I am too late to post in this thread here. Been away from Scubaboard for a little bit. However of still interested I can provide lots of information on Puerto Rico as I was born and raised there and go often to visit my Dad and sisters who still live there...

I have not dived Culebra or Vieques, but I did dive the wall off of Parguera a couple of years ago and it was pretty darn good and I recommend it. The area isn't great, quite beat up and impoverished (and probably worse after hurricanes), but the people are nice and, again, the diving was surprisingly good. There is actually a wall, the viz was pretty good, as was the life. Here are some photos, they're not great as I did not have my camera and these are screen grabs from GoPro video.

PR Diving 03.jpg PR Diving 05.jpg PR Diving 06.jpg PR Diving 07.jpg PR Diving 08.jpg PR Diving 12.jpg

I guess I am too late to post in this thread here. Been away from Scubaboard for a little bit. However of still interested I can provide lots of information on Puerto Rico as I was born and raised there and go often to visit my Dad and sisters who still live there...
No urgent need to know myself, but why not just post? Somebody will be interested and Puerto Rico probably could use more visitors...

No urgent need to know myself, but why not just post? Somebody will be interested and Puerto Rico probably could use more visitors...
Probably because it's usually easier for someone to answer specific questions, than write a book about all the diving in the whole country. The original question, they already went, or not.

I have posted in the past plenty of info about Puerto Rico. I need to go back and update those threads.
Thanks for the advice

I have not dived Culebra or Vieques, but I did dive the wall off of Parguera a couple of years ago and it was pretty darn good and I recommend it. The area isn't great, quite beat up and impoverished (and probably worse after hurricanes), but the people are nice and, again, the diving was surprisingly good. There is actually a wall, the viz was pretty good, as was the life. Here are some photos, they're not great as I did not have my camera and these are screen grabs from GoPro video.

View attachment 502521 View attachment 502523 View attachment 502524 View attachment 502525 View attachment 502526 View attachment 502527

I agree the diving is excellent at la Parguera, so is in Guanica the next town over. The wall begins in Cabo Rojo and goes all the way to Ponce.
I disagree w your comment about Parguera area not being great. I just went to Puerto Rico in April and it looked pretty nice to me.
Unfortunately there is a misconception that Puerto Rico is not ready for tourism due Hurricane Maria...that is not true
Puerto Rico is open for Business.
Jimmy Fallon just did his "Late Night Show " in Puerto Rico two weeks ago.
Lin-Manuel Miranda took his Broadway show "Hamilton " to Puerto Rico.
The Clinton's were there this last weekend.
Etc.

Whoa!! You're talking to someone who is married to a Puerto Ricana and with a huge Puerto Rican family!! And I was just there, stayed at the new Serafina hotel in Condado. I love PR!!

Having said that, it is difficult to say that the Parguera area is one of th

Finishing: the nicer areas of PR. But that is a personal opinion. It is NOT a judgment about PR in general or overall.

Thanks.

Culebra is great for laying on awesome Flamenco Beach doing nothing, big beach, beautiful water. But I wouldn't go thru the trouble, airfare, weight and baggage allowance, etc to go diving there like we did a month ago.
What I remember from research was the south side of puerto rico was best of the 3 for diving but I would check see if the mainland has recovered.
When we went, in July this summer, we went to a "hidden" Beach over the hill from flamenco. Saw like 10 people all day and spent the entire time snorkeling and relaxing.

Only catch was you had to go through a "locked" gate and cross a unexploded ordinance area to get to it... Other then that it was awesome... Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom