Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had very good luck with the dive computers I have purchased over the years:

1) Oceanic ProPlus2 purchased in 2002, replaced by Oceanic in 2008 for faulty pressure sensor, still works today, dived by my daughter
2) Cochran EMC-14 purchased in 2006 as backup for ProPlus2 and then VT3, still works today, I dive it occasionally
3) Dive Rite Nitek Duo won in a raffle 2008, turned out to be too conservative to use as a backup for ProPlus2, still works today, gets dived occasionally
4) Oceanic VT3 purchased in 2010 to replace ProPlus2 as primary computer, still my primary computer today, 1264 dives, 1331 hours
5) Oceanic Geo2 purchased in 2011 as backup for VT3, works today, dived as usual backup
6) Dive Rite Nitek Q purchased in 2016 to learn about Buhlmann, works beautifully as a backup to VT3

Six computers over 17 years, one replacement by manufacturer, all working today. I have replaced batteries in all of them, many times. Maybe I've just been lucky :).

Right now 40/75, but I haven't decided if that will be my "normal" GF. I am only a dozen dives in on the Perdix, and getting a feel for how the GF plays out with altitude & cold compared to my "normal" expectations with the Duo.
Hi @Foothills

I had forgotten that the Duo also runs a proprietary variant of Buhlmann. It appears to be a little more conservative than the Pelagic Pressure Systems' proprietary version of Buhlmann, PZ+, at least as reflected by 1st dive NDLs

The table reflects the computers I mentioned in my post #61, and demonstrates why the Cochran was a good backup for my ProPlus2, whereas the Duo was not.

upload_2019-1-29_10-7-36.png

Had this for many years. Loved it at the time but now hate it in retrospect because its lack of nitrox capability kept me from taking up nitrox diving for several years. I sold it on ebay about 4 years ago with the reg set it was attached to.

So about twenty years it lasted.
$(KGrHqR,!nkE63U,fw+DBO-YK8I+Eg~~60_12.JPG

With one battery change, I am still using my U.S. Diver's Monitor 1 purchased in 1992.

For all of the people with older computers i just stumbled on this. Not sure if its been mentioned. Im going to be purchasing a computer soon.

Many manufacturers will factory test dive computers for accuracy, so DAN® recommends that divers contact the manufacturer of any dive computer that is 10 years old or older or that has made 1,000 or more dives and ask if it should be tested for accuracy. Years of diving can take their toll on computers in terms of wear and tear, exposure to sun and salt water, being dropped and other neglect.

Replacing dive computers and BCDs

Does upgradability of a computer’s software extend the life of a computer, as one would expect?

The Shearwater computers are upgradable as I understand it, but I don’t know about other popular non-AI, low to mid-range cost computers. If you know of some upgradeable long life computers you’d recommend, please share. Thanks.

Does upgradability of a computer’s software extend the life of a computer, as one would expect?

How would not updating the software limit the life of a dive computer? Considering the number of responders here with 10+ yo non-upgradeable computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom