Who travels with a spare mask and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have 2 - one prescription and one not prescription. Which one I wear depends on whether or not I’m wearing contacts.

I only do when I go to the ocean because my main mask is color-correcting, and so I also bring a clear mask for night dives.

I don't bother bringing a spare mask for freshwater dives. I just bring the clear mask.

I almost always carry a spare. Both are prescription mask. If I don't care to see what I'm doing I'll just grab one out of the rinse bucket or do without.:wink:

Always carry a spare mask in my right short pocket too.

Have used it before where other divers lost their mask, and I lent it to them. If not, there would have been cancelled dives for them since the boat would be going out for a whole day.

The main purpose though is for my own use, so that I have a backup mask so I can still dive comfortably even after losing a maskl.

My current prescription dive mask goes in my carry-on. My older prescription mask goes in my wife's carry-on. It's a 6 year old prescription that's "gauge readers" only as opposed to my new prescription with has a better focal length and is complete bi-focals.

Without them, I'm not diving :-(

I travel with a spare mask for the same reasons I dive with an extra mask, either way its crap without one when you need it.

I always travel with a spare mask because I need very strong, and peculiar, prescription lenses in order to see anything at all. If my mask breaks or gets lost i can’t just buy or rent a new one. Sometimes my backup mask is a slightly older scrip but still usable, sometimes it is identical to my main mask.

I always travel with a spare because finding a mask that is comfortable and water tight can be difficult.

markm

Just curious, who goes on SCUBA trips with a spare mask? Why? is it the same as your primary mask or a different style and why?? Just askin'
Always.
It's different - not full-face, just a low-volume freediving type.

The reason is you don't always find FFM-familiar people to dive with, and while FFM is much much safer than partial masks, anyone you rely on for help needs to know the procedures. Plus, just in case, it's a reasonable backup to FFM.

I've had the frame of a mask break once, and have had the crew drop my mask overboard while on a dive boat. I always bring a spare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom