Who travels with a spare mask and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not just on trips for me. Spare is always in my dive bag, whether I’m at the quarry or on the local charter boat. I don’t leave home without it.

I always carry a spare mask whether on a trip or at home diving. About a year ago my mask strap broke when I did a giant stride off the back of the boat. Instead of getting back on the boat and putting on a spare strap, the deckhand reached into my dive bag and handed me my spare mask which is the same as my regular mask. I have a small face and it took awhile to find a mask that worked well for me, hence, two masks that are identical except for color.

Spare mask always in my bag; goes in a pocket and on dives nearly all the time too. My primary mask is prescription; my spare/backup is the aforementioned DGX frameless mask with stick-in cheater lens.

Always travel with backup prescription mask and an additional set of Rx lenses. Mabey a little over kill, but on a two week trip to CoCo View I don’t want any surprises.

I always have a spare in the car and took one with me on my one "dive" vacation. I have used the spare a handful of times due to a strap breaking while gearing up, or more often, the clips holding the strap giving out. Reminds me, I have to buy a few more of those "clips" parts--maybe more recent models have solved this problem? It's a different model mask than my regular one (which I found on a dive 11 years ago). I don't take the spare with me on the dive-- no room in the BC pockets with the 10 pound weights, and don't want the drag of clipping it somewhere.
I've never had a broken or lost mask during a dive. There is a thread on that somewhere, as someone was concerned about it.

I always travel with two identical masks. Masks can be lost, damaged, or stolen, and no borrowed mask is likely to be as comfortable and secure as mine. I also bring a spare mask strap. Bringing spares is especially important when traveling to foreign destinations. When traveling by air to a dive destination one mask goes in my carry on, the other in my check through.

I travel with a spare mask. I've upgraded masks a few times so I just bring an older one. Usually I dive with a spare in my pocket. I've never needed it myself but I've loaned it out a few times.

I always take a spare mask. When I was a new diver I hit my own mask with the weight belt. I had to use a spare from the boat and it kept leaking. Never again.

Like everyone else who has responded, I always travel with at least 1 spare (I have a few in the gear bin I toss in my truck) and often dive with a spare shoved in a drysuit pocket (left, the DSMB & spool go in the right) or clipped to a stage in a mask pouch.

I have never needed a back-up on a dive (other than training dives), but I have needed a back-up on a trip (setting a pair steel 130s down on a mask is not good for the mask, and duct tape won't fix that kind of damage).

Back
Top Bottom