San Cristobal - Where to Stay & What to Do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bL79

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'll be in San Cristobal for ~3.5 days before my liveaboard. I'm hoping to gather some suggestions on where to stay and any must-see/do activities.

After searching around a bit my current plan was to just stay at an airbnb in town - any recommendations? Seems there are a few hostel options as well. I've heard that being too close to the beach can actually be a nuisance since the sea lions are so loud in the morning, any truth to that?

As for activities I was planning:
  • Check out interpretation center (which I hear is the best of all the islands!)
  • Walk to Punta Carola and continue beyond to Cerro Tijereta Hills
    • I hear the snorkeling by Darwin's statue at punta carola is good?
  • Wander around Puerto Baquerizo Moreno - is there a town market or similar?
  • Dive at lion rock? Seems like this is pretty highly recommended
  • Try to snorkel with marine Iguanas at La Loberia Beach

Is heading inland highly recommended? I've read about El Junco Lake and the tortoise habitat, is it worth the taxi ride out? Any other suggestions?

Otherwise I'm definitely keen to snorkel with marine Iguanas somewhere on the island. I'd also like to at least see the Galapagos penguin but I don't think they frequent San Cristobal - are day trips feasible or is it just too much travel?

Thanks for posting this. I have same plans for stay in San Cristobal May 9-12, 2019 and then Liveaboard starting May 13. I have reservations at the Eco Friendly Hotel and have had numerous messages with the owner (Harry Jimenez) who is helping me with most of the same things to do while staying there. Everything in my research gives great reviews of this hotel and it is not on the water/high tourist/Loud Sea Lion area.

Thanks Bama, I'm definitely read about that place before. Seems to be pretty commonly recommended

Fortunately I suppose the island really isn't that large so it seems the same activities tend to get mentioned. Still on the fence as to if I should go inland though

Also if anyone has dive operator recommendations I'm definitely interested. Of course will be on the liveaboard for most the trip but I'm keen to get out to kicker rock while I'm on the island. I've only really found Darwin Scuba and "Nature Galapagos"

wreckbaydivingcenter.com

I stayed in San Cristobal overnight only so didn't have chance to explore it all.
Hired a taxi to go inland. Visited tortoise habitat. It was ok experience which was easily surpassed by Tortoise Reserve on Santa Cruz were we stopped during liveaboard. Also visited Puerto Chino . Nice beach with some sea lions, blue footed boobies etc. Didn't do any snorkeling there as it was wavy and windy.
PS Sea lions are definitely making lots of noise on the beach in San Cristobal

Any comments/suggestions on the original post? What about diving "Kicker Rock"? What places did you enjoy and would recommend to eat on San Cristobal?

Any comments/suggestions on the original post? What about diving "Kicker Rock"?

Kicker Rock is definitely worth diving. I've dove it twice (in 2 different years) and would return any time I was in San Cristobal. It's easily my favourite land-based dive in the Galapagos. Last time I dove it we had great vis and saw schooling young Galapagos sharks, eagle rays, a black tip, many turtles, octopodes, nudibranchs, and creoles awaiting cleaning. It's not like any of the other Galapagos sites I've dove by liveaboard or land-based. You can only dive it land-based. Wreck Bay is the op to go with. Check current water temps before you leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom