Billion Dollar Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Digging into what I could find on this loan, I found mentioned that it was split up 4 ways between Dutch, French, English, and some unspecified contributor or currency that made up a small portion. It seems the French shouldered close to 75% of the cost with another 15% to the Dutch and a small amount to the British. It is also mostly paper currency by the sounds of it and not gold. Have you ever checked Russian gold holdings between 1908-1914 (pre-war)?

We are still lacking the ever so important paper trail to the US Government and their gold reserves.

Wow. I'm impressed. Paper currency? Hahaha The entire world at that time was on the gold standard. See: The Gold Standard | RMS - Republic . International accounts were settled in gold. The French were buying gold in New York in support of this loan, for settlement. See: The $3,000,000 Transaction | RMS - Republic Be cautious here. We've proven that the Oceanic's cargo arrived. There is still, nevertheless, a shortage of gold leaving NYC which did not arrive in France. The gold we've identified as being on Republic is a different transaction, a $3,000,000 short-term 30-day loan, at 1.5% interest, repayable to the New York bankers in Europe on February 22, 1909 - from the 1909 $240,000,000 January 1909 4 1/5% Russian bond, the first 20% distribution of the $90,000,000 loan surplus (above the $150,000,000 Russia had to pay on her 1904 loan coming due in May 1909) disbursed to Russia over a period of six months beginning February 22, 1909. So, Russia got about $18,000,000 on February 22nd. The $90 million surplus was specifically earmarked for Russia's 1909 budget, was paid out to Russia over 6 months, with the first disbursement made, 20% on February 22, then 20% March 22, and 15% on the 22nd of each of the next four months.

If you need money today and you know you have money coming to you in the future, you borrow today against that future money.

You really would save a lot of time and effort if you picked up my book The Tsar's Treasure, which I'd be happy to discuss in detail.

PS Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, but I have evacuated Miami Beach and am still temporarily displaced.

Last edited:
Still the question at hand has not been answered.
Also how far will 30 min dives take you on such a large salvage operation.

In my limited experience, it is worse.

Bob

Hey Bob...

Worse than crack...or treasure hunting...

This show is not unlike the show digging for Captain Kidd's treasure...or the other one with the astronauts map showing wreck sites...

Dip-**its chasing lost causes with someone elses money...

As George Kastanza once said...''a show about nothing''...

I'm sure there's a flying saucer buried in my back yard because I keep hitting ''something'' with my mower...sharp...metallic...glows in the dark...sending out repeating signals...you know the type...

Unfortunately I'm unable to find a network willing to float a show...

The Truth Is Out There...

Happy New Year...

Warren

Treasure hunting is an addiction and I figure it is as bad if not worse than others. Watch The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the nature of the treasure may be different, but human nature isn't.

A real treasure hunter won't have a camera within a thousand yards of a hunt, further if they know it's around. I can't watch the shows, whoever writes the scripts is there because they can't get a decent job. It's like reality TV, nothing like reality at all.

Bob

We have new updated research, adding significantly to my 2013 book The Tsar's Treasure, at:

Enjoy!

M

Back
Top Bottom