Bungee 2nd stage necklace, adds difficulty to doff in water and hand gear off to boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. I'm thinking about going this route, but for pretty much all of my diving I have to take my kit off in the water and someone lifts it into the boat. This can offer a challenge if the water is choppy, which it often is.

I agree, it is a PITA. I use side exhaust regulators and loop one end of 3/16" bungee around the regulator's exhaust horn and the other end is tied to a trigger snap, which fits perfectly around braided hose. YMMV

upload_2018-12-29_8-13-46.png

Can someone tell me what's the name of the 90 deg swivel elbow for the 2nd stage?
Or better yet point me to a link on Amazon? :)
Better option might be going for 70° elbow (or 110° as they are called at some places). If you go under arm primary, it is not going straight up, it is at angle from your armpit to your mouth.

I tried out this new configuration this past Sunday and it went reasonably well. I bought XS scuba reg necklace and simply slipped it out prior to slipping out of the BCD. As suggested I switch to the alternative and clip off the primary when on the surface. Just need a bit more practice with clipping off to do it seamlessly without looking.
I also went with the 70° elbow as suggested above and that worked well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was thinking about this thread the other day. This is really off in the weeds but might led to some interesting ideas. I have been using a strap for several years to retain my mask (see Preventing mask loss vs a spare). The surprising byproduct of this is the retainer strap turned out to be really convenient.

Taking the concept on step farther -- what about a second strap, probably connected to the mask strap, that had a trigger snap that retained the regulator?

One problem with a trigger snap on a bungee necklace is disconnecting it and pulling the bungee off the neck too aggressively can hurt if you're not careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom