Going from backmount d12 to sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another data point, I also dive both steels and ALs in cold water and almost prefer the AL 80s. HP 100s are really nice and don't tend to get floaty, but the 80s are just easier to maneuver in the water. Just make sure to compensate for the weight difference, and you'll need to move them down to another d-ring (or sliding ring) to keep the tails in line.

In case any one cares, here's an update on what i ended up doing

I did sidemount with 12L steel bottles for a time while my knee improved and have now gone back do diving d12 on my back. Sidemount was great when we were doing shady entry shorediving, but for everything else the backmount was just easier. When I started adding an extra tank for deco, canister light and occasionally extra gear for special dives I noticed that the tanks on back do reduce the clutter for me. Thanks for all the advice on the matter!

Back
Top Bottom