Gopro 5 and FLIP 4 filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess it is too soon to be able to tell if GOPRO 5 is going toe compatible with FLIP 4 system - filters and lenses. I am liking the 5 which would be an upgrade from my 4 silver but want to be able to use my FLIP filters.

According to Backscatter the newer Flip systems are interchangeable.

I am happily using the Flip3.1 on the Hero4 and read some mixed reviews on the Flip4, which is the reason I did not upgrade. Not sure what the Flip5 provides in terms of improvements over the Flip4 or Flip3.1 though.

The new FLIP5 will work with HERO3, 3+, 4, and 5. FLIP5 kits include a neoprene filter wallet to store the HERO5 lens port and spare filters. All FLIP4 and FLIP5 filters are fully interchangeable making FLIP the most future-proof filter system on the market..

GoPro HERO5 Hands-on Underwater Review

One caveat....to this. Apparently the shape of the Hero5 housing (affectionately known as the "super suit") is slightly different, causing some slight issues if using the Flip. Took this quote from the Backscatter link posted above:

"
Hack a FLIP4 to Fit a HERO5?
If you're like us, you'd like to dive a HERO5 tomorrow. The lens port of the new GoPro HERO5Super Suit (Dive housing) is slightly smaller than the Hero 4 dive housing. For our underwater tests, we simply used a few 0.35mm thick stickers to shim out the FLIP4 frame. Unfortunately, the FLIP4 frame is also a little too thick and could cause vignetting (dark corners) in the edges of superwide shots. If you're down with DIY, you'll see it's an easy hack, but the new FLIP5 will fit like a glove and will come with a new set of filters. "

Did anyone see pricing for the Flip5 without the actual filters?

I have my own SRP filters and thinking about upgrading to the new Flip5 should I go with the Hero 5 eventually. However, i would not need (and pay for) the Backscatter filters.

Did anyone see pricing for the Flip5 without the actual filters?

I have my own SRP filters and thinking about upgrading to the new Flip5 should I go with the Hero 5 eventually. However, i would not need (and pay for) the Backscatter filters.

do not think they will sell a flip 5 without filters...

the new SRP filtersare out for hero5 as well.. that u can just buy the adapter and use the old srp filters!

Instead of shelling out for a new flip5,6 etc if you have the flip4 and a gopro 5,6 or 7 you can get a thin shim / adaptor here

http://deepideas.co.uk/Store/index.phpmain_page=product_info&cPath=24_59&products_id=592

This is the shim that comes in the flip 5 kit. Ive never had a problem with the flip 4 and I dont know what the issues that the flip 5 apparently solved as the 4, other than not coming with the shim (as it pre-dates the gopro5 etc) is perfectly usable for me
I belive it should be possible to order one from the US outlet in CA if your stateside

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom