Is a long hose cumbersome on dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried to post in the DIR forum, but I do not have sufficient privileges.

If you click this link:
Join User Groups

then select DIR group, you will be able to join and thus post in the DIR section. There's quite a few sections that are opt-in, DIR and some others can be viewed as a non-member, some like Surface Interval are invisible unless you are a member.

If you dive slim trim and expedient then the long hose from go to whoa is a complete pain in the coit
unless you want to pretend be an astronaut in a bathtub or legitimately in a cave where even I abide.

long hose reg lives on the deck when I'm gearing up, at the stern, end of the bench

waiting for something to happen that never ever does

during eviceration, William Wallace actually cried "DIVE SOLO, DIVE FUN"

I suppose with nothing to do or sea a drilling you will be

like a bulldozer carrying two buckets to dig a hole for a potplant

or like using a bulldozer in the first place to dig a hole for a potplant

just more drudgery invented for those that don't know their gear or how to read an spg

I don't know what I'm doing, "It's ok just bring some more stuff! We'll train you how to use it!"

nothing around my neck except a womans arms a ccr loop or a mans hands

That's enough happy-diver

Ok voice inside my head

Just like sidemount in the ocean from a boat ha ha ha ha ha ha ha "Now that's some marketing!"

I'm not sure I understand that but I think I agree with most of it.

The OP's question is really about Slobs vs Non-Slobs. If you're a slob, EVERYTHING is cumbersome. The length of ones hose is irrelevant.

I guess it will also depend on the size of the boat. The boats I dive from is small enough that you have to do a back-roll (or toss you gear and suit up in the water) and hand up your gear from the water before getting on. For this type of boat I can see a long hose involving more effort.

. For this type of boat I can see a long hose involving more effort.

I've been on several trips on Aggressor boats where the diving is off skiffs/pangas with back roll entries. No problems with a long hose, either 5' or 7'.

I've been on several trips on Aggressor boats where the diving is off skiffs/pangas with back roll entries. No problems with a long hose, either 5' or 7'.

The only time I wished I did not have the long hose was diving from an RIB that had a rack in which the crew would stow the divers’ rigs. The crew didn’t know how to stow the long hose—they were just trying to get everyone back aboard as expeditiously as possible. The slots in the rack were close together, and the hose often got caught between two tanks. Not to mention that that rack looked like it wanted to give my wing a pinch flat if the crew didn’t set my rig down gently. I really wouldn’t have minded a traditional BC and reg set that trip.

I have came across only once in Philippines when the home made rack on the boat was too deep for BP/W. So my tank was left on the floor.

But, what about being on a recreational dive boat with 11 other people where everyone is gearing up shoulder to shoulder? Does a 7' hose get in other people's way and make a tangled mess?

Not at all! It's a matter of learning to manage your long hose. :) The people who will have danglies will have danglies whether they have a long or short hose. You will need (if you don't already) a bolt snap tied to your primary second stage hose placed at about your hand width for air sharing.

The way that I was taught to coil it and clip it off almost never worked for me. It uncoiled itself most of the time, so I obviously wasn't doing it right. It still stayed somewhat, but not neat and tidy. Someone showed me to basically fold it in half and then loosely tie it and clip it off to the right D-ring. It stays perfectly and it's very simple.

I have recently switched over to a long hose and necklace setup, which I like when I am doing shore diving or in a small group.

But, what about being on a recreational dive boat with 11 other people where everyone is gearing up shoulder to shoulder? Does a 7' hose get in other people's way and make a tangled mess?

Thanks!
(I guess this is the right place to post. I tried to post in the DIR forum, but I do not have sufficient privileges.)

SHDM...

The last set of double regs I had were Jetstreams...I had a swivel snap attached to the long hose second...which I had clipped to a harness ''D'' ring...my only concern was me or another diver stepping on it while getting kitted up if it ended up on the floor of the boat...

Just plan and be prepared for individual conditions...

Otherwise...no issues...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom