Little cayman trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry that you had flight problems and that you missed some dives, and I think that most divers and dive ops would be willing to wait a short time for a late arrival, but I agree with others that the timing was just too tight in this case.

The airport is very near but you still have to collect luggage and transfer to the resort, check in at the resort, unpack your stuff, register with the dive shop, get your gear on the boat and set up. Even with valet assistance that's just cutting it a bit too close IMO.

We've all missed dives for various reasons like weather, illness, and travel delays and it is a bummer, especially when you were only there for such a short time. I hope that your next trip goes smoother, wherever you decide to go.

I have a few questions, are they still remodeling the dining room at LCBR? What is the status of the remodeling.

How did you like what you could see of Cobalt Coast? How was the overnight at CC arranged? Did you have to contact Clearly Cayman or LCBR, or were they aware of the flight delay and did they contact you?

Yes, I called clearly cayman and they were awesome. The room @ CC was excellent but much too dark to see the grounds at all.

Yes, I called clearly cayman and they were awesome. The room @ CC was excellent but much too dark to see the grounds at all.

That's good to know! We always ask Reef Fantaseas (the Clearly Cayman travel agency) to book our flights and add a fee but it's not bad. We usually have some connecting flights and they can put it all on one ticket. I have never been able to do that for international travel involving multiple airlines. We learned the hard way that when you book flights separately, the other airlines don't know or care if you are delayed - but when everything is booked on one ticket, they are notified of delays and will make adjustments when possible.

Just got back from LCBR ...
We always appreciate dive reports with water conditions, THANK YOU !!

Do you have actual water temps?

I have to agree with the poster about transportation issues to LC or CB. Cayman Air is a complete disaster IMO and very unreliable for the only transportation option to either of the islands. Last January we had 8 out of the 10 people on the first flight I believe(345ish) to the islands from GC and we couldn't get through the airport due to the construction and ended up missing the flight. They then charged us $200 to change our flight to the later one because we missed the first one. Once we finally got to the island they didn't send 4/8 peoples luggage over so that pretty much messed them up for day one of diving. The return trip back to GC..I don't even want to go there..4 people ended up spending 2 nights in GC on their own tab due to Cayman Air inefficiencies. I do agree with the other posters Reef divers runs a pretty tight schedule. I really think if there were more options other than going through Cayman Air to get there more people would go to the other islands. Next trip I will intentionally leave myself 3-4 hours in GC to catch the connecting flight to the islands and travel insurance is a must!

I didnt write them down, but pretty sure it was around 84 most dives. I was concerned it might be cool in Jan, but was v happily surprised.

84?? Hmm don't think so...I would say perhaps more like 81. You can ask 6 different divers on any given dive and they will all give you six different opinions. .After spending significant time in the water end of last week, I can honestly say I'm ready to change from my 3 to 5 mm wetsuit, usually my indication that sea temps are between 80-81.

84?? Hmm don't think so...I would say perhaps more like 81. You can ask 6 different divers on any given dive and they will all give you six different opinions. .After spending significant time in the water end of last week, I can honestly say I'm ready to change from my 3 to 5 mm wetsuit, usually my indication that sea temps are between 80-81.

Ok, double checked my computer. 6 of 7 dives read 83. 1 read 81. 83 felt accurate to me, since I thought it felt quite warm.

Sorry it wasn't clear. I was at resort @ 805 with my gear. Boat was in dock for 10m with me there begging to get on. I also realize they were within their rights not to accommodate this problem. But, would've been greatly appreciated if they did

Now I don't understand at all. I can't see why they would not have let you on the boat unless it was already full.
Did Sharon, the dive shop manager know you were standing there? I've always found her to be very reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom