Russian woman drowned diving in the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The report seems to suggest it happened the first dive day. Isn't that more often the case?

Россиянка утонула во время дайвинга на Мальдивских островах
Moscow. January 21. INTERFAX.RU - Russian tourist drowned on Sunday while diving in the Maldives archipelago. This was reported to "Interfax" in the company "Exotic Time", which organized the dive.

"A Russian tourist on Sunday drowned while scuba diving, this is an accident. She was 37 years old. We will find out more about what happened after the police find out all the circumstances of the incident," said Veronika Birman, CEO

According to her, the tourist had insurance that should cover the repatriation. "Now the insurance company is doing this, we are helping," added Birman.

She added that the tragedy occurred near the Ari Atoll during the dive from the yacht.

Tourist bought in the company group dive tour from 19 to 26 January.

Its not scuba directly related but this is the fifth tourist who died in a month now

3 other foreign tourists drown in Maldives after Pinoy couple's tragic death: report
When I was working there, we also had elderly people dying while snorkeling. Not uncommon as they weren't very healthy (I mean kinda fat and old and having no condition) and living from the all inclusive bar... Starting drinking beer at 9 am, well...

When I was working there, we also had elderly people dying while snorkeling. Not uncommon as they weren't very healthy (I mean kinda fat and old and having no condition) and living from the all inclusive bar... Starting drinking beer at 9 am, well...
Wow that’s terrible to die in a vacation. Do they get warnings and ignore them ?

Wow that’s terrible to die in a vacation.

Why, is it better to die in a hospital bed after being sick and hurting for a long time?

One common theory is spend a few hours in the sun, get your peripheral blood vessels open and core blood pressure down, jump in cool water and have the capillaries contract and core BP spike up...

Why, is it better to die in a hospital bed after being sick and hurting for a long time?
I don’t think I said that ?

Wow that’s terrible to die in a vacation.
I'd rather end it on an fun adventure than like many suffering in hospitals and nursing homes. I'd hate to ruin the vacation for others around me tho, and too - so many don't bother with trip insurance that would cover returning remains home, leaving it to family & friends to come up with the funds or for the local government to deal with the body - like the honeymooners mentioned in the second link. I always take trip insurance when I leave the US, even tho my DAN dive insurance will also take care of return of remains. I plan to be cremated anyway, but have left instructions to do an autopsy at home first to get to the truth that might have been hidden. Most families like the remains of loved ones returned.

I'd rather end it on an fun adventure than like many suffering in hospitals and nursing homes. I'd hate to ruin the vacation for others around me tho, and too - so many don't bother with trip insurance that would cover returning remains home, leaving it to family & friends to come up with the funds or for the local government to deal with the body - like the honeymooners mentioned in the second link. I always take trip insurance when I leave the US, even tho my DAN dive insurance will also take care of return of remains. I plan to be cremated anyway, but have left instructions to do an autopsy at home first to get to the truth that might have been hidden. Most families like the remains of loved ones returned.
Yea I agree with you, I was mostly concerned with the shock to my loved ones if I was to die on vacation rather than my own fate/suffering.

On topic, I never realised that the Maldives was that challenging as a destination.

On topic, I never realised that the Maldives was that challenging as a destination.
I don't know, I've never been there, but most of the drownings were elderly tourists, perhaps pushing their limits. I wear a snorkel vest swimming or riding on dive boats, in fact you can see it on my profile photo currently, and try to encourage my adult children and their kids to do the same as well as remain proficient in using them. As for the honeymooners, the young fellow had a heart attack, and his bride drowned trying to save him. It's sad that so many see snorkel vests as sissy props. Filipino couple died of cardiac arrest, drowning in Maldives, autopsy report bares | Philstar.com

You're in the UK, with different medical & dive coverage, different laws, etc. so my other suggestions may not apply to you directly. Beyond learning safe dive practices, ditching weights in an emergency, and such - make sure your diving is covered, and that you're funded for return of remains by your insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom