Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this in the hydros manual. Others said there was no way to run the hydros with doubles but this seems to say otherwise. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190108-194835_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190108-194835_Drive.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 302
Just saw this in the hydros manual. Others said there was no way to run the hydros with doubles but this seems to say otherwise. Thoughts?

That’s a generic manual that covers all of Scubapro BC’s include the Xtek system which can support doubles.

As a prospective Hydros buyer, I'm curious if there are any updates on these issues. What should I be looking for when I go into my LDS to be sure I'm buying a updated BCD?
I can confirm a few things:

1) I've had the Hydros Pro when it first came out a few years ago - After much harping about the wobble and bungee problems - and constant arguing with the local store - Thanks to another member on this board i convinced the team locally that there indeed is a voluntary recall and FREE modification of the
(a) back plate, (b) shoulder strap and (c) bungee system

2) The effect has been the following
(a) + (b) - have made the BCD a lot more sturdy - the common shoulder strap tear has been fixed
(c) - the bungee system change has made the BCD significantly more stable and the excess air filling up in one of the bladders has certainly reduced. I still had a short wobble on my first test .... but the change (for the better) has made diving fun again with the BC.

Happy Diving!

Well, I can report that I fixed my bungees with some cable ties and subsequently went on two dive trips. The problem of the lopsided trim has not completely been fixed by that, but it got a lot better.

Apologies for not reading ALL 27 pages but my Hydros is due in 2 days and is my first BC purchase. How do I determine if the bungees are the updated version? My LDS also has the Glide in stock but I went with the Hydros believing that the back inflate would facilitate better trim and dive position. I can still easily change out to the Glide and save some money. Wondering if the Glide with a real backplate, included pockets, and savings isn’t the way to go after skimming this thread.

Again, apologies for asking for the cliff notes to this thread but I’m a newb and looking for community help here.

How do I determine if the bungees are the updated version?

I just bought one too last week, the surest way to know is to have your LDS call Scubapro with the serial number and confirm. My LDS didn't really want to do that but assured me they had received it in November 2018 so it would be current.

When I got home I found Scubapro Hydros Pro Updates - 2018 | Orpheus Dive which states only units manufactured after February 2018 have the new bungees ("configuration 3").

If you look behind the right trim pocket on the back (not the pocket itself but the panel it's attached to) you will find two white tags sewed on, one has the serial number and the date of manufacture.

I discovered the unit I bought was made in mid-2017, so it seems distributors/shops are trying to unload old stock. I returned it and waiting for another one to come in, hopefully manufactured more recently.

Same here I purchased one of the first Hydros BCD's and have 200+ dives with it, taken to various overseas locations etc etc. A superb BCD and ok yes I do use some trim weights to get my ideal positioning but I have never had any bungee problems so I don't personally see it being a big issue at all.

Was pretty stoked on this thing when I got it. Put about 150 dives on my Hydros Pro.

I can confirm all of the issues others have mentioned: fragile shoulder straps and connection points, bungess/bladder issues, etc.

A new one I ran into is the monoprene backpad disconnected from the backplate. There are these very tiny little injection molded bits that hold the monoprene to the backplate. Insanely small, super fragile.

This BCD is an absolute joke. Complete waste of money. Do not waste your time with it. I was super bull-ish on it when I got mine, but wow. Very big mistake.

Anyway, I have a Hydros Pro for sale if anyone is interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom