Mares horizon: just add water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

Appears to have no flood tolerance and is released to the recreational scr market... Soon to be following in the footsteps of the Explorer and Azimuth?

Looking forward to the classified section in a few years! Hopefully enough corporations buy in now.

Cameron

Excuse my ignorance, what is flood tolerance? It also has a max depth of 40M which is shallow. I thought rebreathers were used for deep, deco dives.

was why rebreathers were used for deep, deco dives.

...not really. CCRs give you advantages on deeper dives, the new unit is an SCR only as it appears to me. This means its basically a 'gas extender'. This means you can never dive deeper than the MOD of your EAN. Northernone said it already, its another competitor on this market segment aiming on sport divers.

Some similarities to rEvo are however obvious, such as the butt-plate, the dual-scrubber design, the scrubbers itself... Even the computer seems to be a shearwater clone- designwise. It however (from what is visible on the videos/websites) does not incorporate RMS or any advanced features, nor does it provide open counterlungs similar to the rEvo units. Perhaps as an approach to satisfy few users crying for flood recovery.

Feels as if some managers at Mares try to cash-cow the revo aquisition in terms of knowledge transfer.

Excuse my ignorance, what is flood tolerance? It also has a max depth of 40M which is shallow. I thought rebreathers were used for deep, deco dives.

This rebreather is for recreational dives, a niche market for this who like warm breathing air, less bubbles (this model still bubbles, as it is only a semi closed circuit rebreather) and longer dive times... Also great for those who like fancy toys.

My flood tolerance comment is suggesting what happens when you get water inside the rebreather.

Some designs protect the scrubbing material with a water trap first and others (like this one), immediately soak the scrubber which makes it nearly impossible to breathe quite quickly. With careful predive checks and rigorous care during the dive this flaw is minimized (so I hear) but for recreational divers I suggest it might be a poor compromised design. (That's debatable, people love their revos and probably will praise the platform in response.)

Cameron

Rebreathers are used for all types of diving; Deep, Technical, Recreational, etc. This product is aimed at the Recreational Rebreather market, which is a growing market. The determining factor for this new unit will be price.

I'll take a look at it during Boot in Duiselldorf in a few days but from what a revo instructor told me is that it's very light and simple, they had a problem with sealing surfaces being built of soft plastic and scratching very easily.

Those videos just made me love my JJ even more...

The determining factor for this new unit will be price.

I have heard 4000 € in France, no confirmation yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom