Galapagos exposure protection for March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petermichelle

Sporadic Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
we are booked for Aggressor live aboard at the beginning of Marchand I’m looking for advice on what skins, wetsuits, hoods, gloves to bring. We can rent 7mm on the boat but I’m not sure what else we should bring. Someone told us to bring skins to wear underneath for something dry and that we need heavy duty gloves for holding onto the rocks. I’m getting a little freaked out with all the talk about cold water and downdrafts!! Help me please!

To show you how long ago I dove Galapagos in March, I was perfectly comfortable with a 1/4" farmer john/jacket in the southern part and very comfortable with a 1/8" full surf suit up at Wolf and Darwin. I think 7mm up north would be way too warm. My 2psi. mark

I've been to Galapagos several times and always wore a dry suit and 1/4" hood. I never had to skip a dive or cut one short because I was too cold, shiver on a panga ride back to the mother ship, or struggle into a cold, damp wetsuit. I wear the lightest gloves that I can, usually summer weight neoprene with durable palms.

I’ve decided I’m bringing everything I can cram in my dive bag! 5mm hooded vest, boots, socks, 2mm gloves, 3mm wetsuit, 7mm wetsuit... I will have it all!

Your 7mm wetsuit and hooded vest would be sufficient. Not sure what the 3mm will do for you. Best of luck

Sites out west (Cabo Douglas, Punta Vicente Roca) and Cousins Rock are always cold. Water is warmer in March and Darwin is the warmest dive site in Galapagos year round. But, the thing about Darwin is that you're stationary much of the dive, holding onto rocks and watching all the hammerheads pass by you. It's like being on the side of a hammerhead highway. Since you aren't in motion, 7mm doesn't feel too warm. Many people wear hoods. I hate them, so never did, except out west where a beanie was sufficient for me.

Gloves are not necessary for warmth. They are necessary to protect your hands from being cut on sharp barnacles which cover the rocks we grab. I usually recommend 1.5 - 2mm with some type of non-neoprene palm for protection.

Just closing the loop on this upon our return. I dove all week in my 3mm with 5mm hooded vest under. 2mm socks and gloves were fine. The only two dives where I needed The 7mm were the last day at Cousins Rock. Water temp 63! Diving was simply amazing!

Back
Top Bottom